• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Guinea Pig Insurance for Illness

Moonkat1992

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm looking for a bit of advice on insuring guinea pigs. Yesterday I took my lovely 7 year old boy to an exotic vet to have a neck abscess removed. We decided to go with the exotic vet because of his age and greater anesthetic risk as they wanted to remove the abscess during a surgery but were all quite confident he would be okay, although of course there is always a risk. He got through the surgery well but then died just before they were about to bring him out to the car park to give back to us which was just awful. I'm glad we tried to help him but unfortunately the whole abscess removal came to a total of £600 which is an awful lot of money to spend and then have no piggie at the end of it.

In the past I've looked at insurance for my pigs but it has been incredibly expensive and doesn't seem to factor in that guinea pigs are herd animals and so people rarely have only one. Does anyone know of an insurance company that do reasonably priced piggy insurance? I'm terrified of having to take any of my other pigs to the vet now as this whole experience has been so traumatic but it would be better taking them knowing we are covered expense-wise. Phoning them up to pay this bill is going to be awful.

Hi, I am so sorry for your loss. How incredibly sad for you. Poor little lad.

i use Exotic direct and have done for 15 years. I have four Guineas insured and it costs about £13 per pig per month. It sounds a lot but every year I get that back (sadly) and it means I can get anything I want done to explore the issue and reach conclusion, this includes things like xrays, overnight stays etc. There are some exclusions around dental (they only pay half I think) but having had one pig cost me over £3000 one year a number of years ago and my recent one, dear Mischief exceeding £1500 in 6 months, I would not be without it. They are also amazing to deal with, very helpfu, and very caring. Here is a link to their site:
ExoticDirect

Sorry for your loss. As said above exotics direct is the only company that insures guinea pigs. Just be careful about reading the small print. I think pre-existing issues aren’t covered and there’s a clause for the first two weeks - can’t remember exactly.

Back