• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Guinea Pig Keeps Biting Me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hank288

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I have never had a guinea pig bite me before, they are usually very docile. I normally receive little nibbles from them and nothing more. But my newest addition who is now around 4 months keeps biting me. She doesn't just nibble me she bites me really hard. Does anybody have any solutions about how to stop her or train her not to do this?

I am normally squeezing her picking shavings off her belly as she is longer haired and I don't want her to become matted. She bites me a lot during this. I tried tapping her on the nose to show my thoughts on the matter. She also bites when I wash her and when I blow dry her. She just doesn't seem that friendly towards humans!

Maybe reward her when she doesn't bite you and keep doing whatever you are doing i.e. picking shavings off her so learns not to bite you.

Perhaps it would be a good thing to consider different bedding? I also wouldn't recommend blow drying her if she doesn't like it! Not all pigs like it. Try putting a bit of parsley or something in her mouth when you're handling her - if theres a choice a piggy would prefer the food and when the mouth is occupied theres little risk of chomping your hand ;)

Praise your girl lavishly for everything she does right and establish a sound of dissaproval or disappointment if she bites. Please don't blow dry her if she really doesn't like it. Respect it if she is using it to make a point.

I am normally squeezing her picking shavings off her belly as she is longer haired and I don't want her to become matted. She bites me a lot during this. I tried tapping her on the nose to show my thoughts on the matter. She also bites when I wash her and when I blow dry her. She just doesn't seem that friendly towards humans!
When I dry my piggies I hold them against my chest with a towel over them and gently rub. Then my other half has the hair dryer on a low heat, takes longer but i find they get less stressed and they are having cuddles whilst hiding so its better for them :)
I have also found that a good way to bond with my piggies is having their hair brushed, mine love it!

My texel, Evangeline, was like that, she would try to nip when being groomed (unfortunate for a texel!) and would hate to be blow dried. I used to groom her every day, but quickly and effieciently, without messing around. I used to wrap her in a tea towel so that her head was covered and just get on with it. I did not use the hair dryer unless it was really so bitterly cold that I worried she would catch a chill.

I think your piggie is trying to tell you she is unhappy with what you are doing, she is trying to communicate with you. I'm sure you are only "tapping her nose" gently but its worth remembering that guinea pigs do not seem to understand physical punishment and its more likely to make her more nervous of you and the whole procedure, than to improve her behavior.
Have you thought of trimming all her fur short, to save the worry and daily battle?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back