• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Guinea Pig Leaflet - Wrong Info!

Status
Not open for further replies.

squeakypigs

Forum Founder
Reaction score
Today I went to a garden centre/pet store place to get some guinea pig food.

Luke and I always have a nose at all the guinea pigs and I noticed they had information leaflets on guinea pigs.

We first noticed it said that they strongly do not advise that guinea pigs and rabbits be housed together. They also have guinea pigs and rabbits separated at this place. However in the leaflet it says if your planning on breeding the best time to breed is for a male at 6 months and a female at 10 months!! Surely that is not good if a pet store is giving out leaflets advising to breed a sow at 10 months because between 10-12 months their pelvic bones start to fuse if they have not had any previous litters. I think the lady who I spoke to who is meant to be the UKs best guinea pig obstetrican said the best age is around 6 months for a sow.

It makes you wonder where they exactly get their information from and who writes it!

I hate to contradict anyone but accoding to the CCT/BAR rodentology course - female guinea pigs bones don't fuse at any age. "Any dystocia in an elderly first time mothers is usually due to muscular inertia rather than bone fusion"

Just thought I'd say so that you don't have to worry about the leaflet

The best age for a sows first litter is between 5 and 10 months old.

Kat

DebbieR said:
I hate to contradict anyone but accoding to the CCT/BAR rodentology course - female guinea pigs bones don't fuse at any age. "Any dystocia in an elderly first time mothers is usually due to muscular inertia rather than bone fusion"

Just thought I'd say so that you don't have to worry about the leaflet

Debbie just wondering have you done the course?

I'm getting through it Michele. Its like wading through treacle though :D I'll spend a few months doing nothing but studying and then will leave it for months.
The bit about the bones is section 2 and was really easy compared to section 1 that just blows your head off ;D

I'm thinking about doing it and paying for the first part of the course today. Are you doing the foundation or main course? I would love to do it!

I'm doing the main course. There's a lot of information but its well worth it. I really enjoy it when I get my bum in gear and actually get down to some serious work. ;D

Yeah - how long did it take for the course to come through once you had paid for it?

Mine didn't take that long but it was a while ago :-[ Deb got hers recently and it took ages to come. It depends on how much Gina has on at the time. Also, it can take ages for her to cash the cheque so if you're a bit of a ditz like me, keep that in mind.

cuddle cups

hi does anyone know where I can get cuddle cups from? ;D

I get all mine from ebay, and luckly I buy them in bulk so I always have a stock of them ,
as for the dystocia I actually lost a pig from a pelvic bone fusing, not sure if you remember but lupin was pregnant she was 11 months old and delivered a very mangled baby then kept pushing, run her up the vets she had an xray that showed both her pelvis fused and a broken hip that had healed over and although she still had a baby inside her she had to be Put to Sleep, I'm sure the healed hip made a diffrence but i still would never breed from a pig over 8 months old, and the leaflet should be put right because what ever the problem is, muscles or bones it should not happen I have seen it and its a waste of a young girls life ( Lupin was rescued) and it must be a painful thing for the pig,.... remember labour girls

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back