• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Guinea pig licking wound from drained abcess

Arold

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi,
My 2 year old boar has just had an abscess drained but he's licking and or biting at it. I kepp stopping him but obviously cannot do this 24 hrs a day. Is there anything I can do?
Thank you.

Yes he's on baytril twice a day and loxicom once a day. I also give a probiotic after antibiotic.

Guinea pigs metabolise their pain meds quickly so really they need to be given every 12 hours to be effective. Once a day dosing means the pain killer has left the system long before the next dose is due so piggy could be left experiencing some pain. That could perhaps be a reason as to why he is licking it, perhaps he is in discomfort.
Sometimes just draining an abscess isn’t enough, they usually have to have surgery to have it removed with daily flushing of the wound so it can heal.
Perhaps you need to speak to your vet again. I’m not sure what else you can do to stop him from licking it

@furryfriends (TEAS) has dealt with a lot of abscesses so perhaps could offer further advice

On his side at the back. I've literally only been 15984477809192491428094508577164.jpgback a few hours from the vets I gave his first dose of antibiotics at 12.30 he's due his probiotic at 2.30 abs then I will give the anti inflammatory a couple of hors later. The vet told me to give this only once a day and the antibiotics twice. I've attached a pic to show you where it is.

Oh sorry the vet asked me to make a follow up appointment with the senior vet on Fri 4th Sept which I have done.

It had a white head like a giant spot the vet said thick puss came out and it smelt.Iwasn'tallowed in the room due to covid restrictions. She referred to it as an abscess. I've been told to clean it with salene solution but not up flush it out. How would I do this?

Prior to today I had taken him in once a while ago as he had a pea sized lump in the same area. The vet said it was a free roaming cyst and if it didn't cause him any pain or other signs of discomfort it's best left alone. It grew to about the size of a ten pence piece abs when he got a urinary infection obadkec the vet to check. This was a couple of months back. She drained it and said again it was a cyst. It filled back up the next day to the same size but softer. I called back as was told again if he's fine within himself it's better to leave it. Obviously today I noticed the white head on it so took him in. This is the first time they have said abscess. He has been popcorning, eating, popping and drinking as normal. This morning he was popcorning when I was putting out new hay.

Back