• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Guinea Pig Lives On Own

Status
Not open for further replies.

becbecs29

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
My guinea pig lives on his own. We got him from a pet shop but he was in the charity give away because nobody wanted him, apparently he would fight other guinea pigs, he has a scar on his eyelid from one fight. So I'm a bit weary about introducing him to another guinea pig. I've said to my parents he needs a friend but they're insistent that male guinea pigs don't get along, even after telling them about boar dating. I'm worried he's going to get lonely as I'm not always at home but do get him out as often as I can. He squeaks at everybody who goes past his cage which makes him seem even more lonely. Hell he's become friends with my cat, they will sit talking through the bars to each other. I just don't know what to do to make it less lonely for him.
I'm quite worried as I know guinea pigs need friends. Any advice would be greatly received.
Thanks in advance :)

Welcome to the forum. Are you happy to give us an idea what country you live in as this helps with our advice - e.g. US / UK . You can change this in your profile.

Male guinea pigs do indeed get along - if you find them a compatible friend! Boar dating is a perfect option if you have a nearby rescue who is able to do this for him :) They will make sure he is properly bonded with a friend before allowing them to go home with you, limiting the danger of fallouts.

Thank you but I just don't think it's an option, my parents won't allow it, just wondering if there is anything else I can do to help :)

Thank you but I just don't think it's an option, my parents won't allow it, just wondering if there is anything else I can do to help :)

I understand that you must follow your parents wishes. Do your parents like Barney ?

Have you any idea how old he is? It may be that companions were "forced" on him rather than him being able to choose his own friend, in which case he probably would feel upset. If he is in good health otherwise and you can find a vet experienced with guinea pigs you could get him neutered and after six weeks introduce him to a female companion. A good rescue centre could help you find him a friend of either sex. Are you in the UK?

Yes they love Barney and help look after him if I'm not at home, we have 7 other pets so are a very animal friendly family :) we believe he is about a year and a half to 2 years old :) I am in the UK but yet again my parents are very against getting him a companion

I am reading your other thread too and I think you said that your Brother has a guinea pig ( a female one I think) . Does your brother live at home with you ?

Yes he does as he is younger but yet again my parents won't allow them anywhere near each other, I think they worry about them having pups :/ it would be nice if they could meet but just not allowed to

Guinea pigs need companionship. I would help if their cages could be put together so they could at least talk to each other.

With their cages being together could it not frustrate the boy?

There just isn't the room for them to be next to each other, it was a bit of a struggle to find a space for him as we keep all our animals inside

I agree with putting them next to each other, then they could talk through the bars.

Ok thanks I shall have to look into getting him neutered but in the mean time anything else anybody could suggest?

Ok thanks I shall have to look into getting him neutered but in the mean time anything else anybody could suggest?

You and your Brother need to do as much as you can to keep your guinea pigs company as much as possible. A lot of people on this forum keep their guinea pigs in their main living room so there are always people around to keep them company.

I do agree that a workable option would be to get one of your guinea pigs neutered . It is safer to have your male guinea pig neutered. I would advise you to find a vet that is experienced. Please also bear in mind that a male guinea pig cannot be put with a female guinea pig until 6 weeks after the operation.

I try to but my brother has an Xbox so Ronnie hardly gets taken out at all. We already have 3 hamster cages on every available surface in our living room so can't really move them. Ronnie is in the hallway to the door so is spoken to quite a lot and Barney is kept next to the downstairs toilet so is often spoken to a lot. Is it a lot of money? I'm a student with a part time job so don't make a lot.

I try to but my brother has an Xbox so Ronnie hardly gets taken out at all. We already have 3 hamster cages on every available surface in our living room so can't really move them. Ronnie is in the hallway to the door so is spoken to quite a lot and Barney is kept next to the downstairs toilet so is often spoken to a lot. Is it a lot of money? I'm a student with a part time job so don't make a lot.

I think you first goal is to find a good vet with experience in neutering guinea pigs . They will explain their prices. I'm sorry we can't give you more solutions to this problem . Guinea pigs need company so, unless they can have a human around 24/7, they are best kept with at least one more guinea pig.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back