• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Guinea Pig Losing Balance

Status
Not open for further replies.

joanie

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hello i am hoping somebody can help me. I took my guinea pigs out for some floor time last night and noticed the one year old kept losing his balance and falling to the right. He got back up again each time he fell. He is eating and drinking alot (as much as he ever has) and isnt hunched up he is still interactive but just doesnt seem as switched on. I am wondering if he cannot hear me as well. I took him to a vet this morning and she checked his ears, chest, teeth, eyes and his body for if he had any pain but couldnt see anything wrong but i know my boy isnt right. What could this be?

Did they not suggest anything or give him any treatment? I would get a second opinion ASAP, I am thinking inner ear infection could be a cause amongst other things tagiing in @helen105281 @Wiebke @furryfriends Excellent Adventure Sanctuary @Pebble @Elwickcavies @Abi_nurse

Sorry to hear he is poorly, we have a recommended vets locator here http://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/pages/guinea-pig-vet-locator/

If you don't have one close it can be worth ringing round all vets in area asking them if they have a vet who is Guinea Pig savy or seeing if there is an exotic vet nearby

I agree with Lee, he needs a second opinion as soon as possible, the first thing that comes to mind is an ear infection, which is usually treated with antibiotics but a stroke is also a possibility in which case the first 48 hours are crucial.

Thanks Helen, was hoping you'd be around x

I'm so worried now. The vet said she didnt want to prescribe anything yet as it can upset them more and to keep an eye on him. I will take him somewhere else this morning i hope its not too late for him

If the vet gives you Baytil ask for a probiotic aswell as it can upset the gut. Probiotic needs to be given at least an hour after the Baytril.

@sport_billy: Which vets are closest on our recommended piggy vets list?

I second that it is important to ge another look at your piggy in case it is an ear infection.

Lincolnshire isn't covered very well. We have none there :( I would recommended ringing around

Closest that come up are
  • Animates
    Sarah Pellett
    2 The Green
    Thurlby, Bourne PE10 0EB
    01778 420462
    www.animates.org.uk/

• Springfield Vet Group
    William Taylor
    39 Moorgate Road
    Rotheram, Yorkshire S602AD
    01709 377241

• Alfreton Park Veterinary Hospital
    Ellie Whitehead
    216 King Street
    Alfreton
    , Derbyshire DE55 7DF
    01773 832218

• Chapel House Vets
    Kathryn Reed
    Hady Hill
    Chesterfield, Derbyshire S410DZ
    01246 222232

In addition to the above advice (re ear infection/stroke) and vet references...an ear mite infection should not be ruled out....many vets are unable to diagnose this properly. It can also be accompanied by a bacterial infection.

A second opinion from a really good cavy savvy vet is needed......one who can properly diagnose ear mites and is also happy to perform an Xray of the area (using a whiff of gas) to see if there is bacterial infection there........

I would also suggest that the vet try to take a swab (albeit from any pus in the outer ear) to test for antibiotic sensitivity. The reason I say this is because all ear infections in my own guinea pigs causing loss of balance have been from a mutl-drug -resistant Pseudomonas that is resistant to almost every antibiotic apart from gentamycin injections.

Unfortunately, if cultures show it is the same type of Pseudomonas - then because Gentamycin is nephrotoxic your vet may not be happy to prescribe it unless bloods on kidney function have also been done.

Obviously I realise this may be too much information at this current time...you will need to take it step by step - but definitely find a cavy savvy vet.!
HTH and your little one is back and popcorning soon
x

It may also be E. caniculi, which is more commonly seen in rabbits. Hope you can get him sorted. x

Apologies for only just posting a reply! What a week its been! I thought i was going to lose my boy this weekend but with a lovely vet and me sat by his cage all weekend giving him lots of love and attention it looks like his is finally pulling through! He did have an ear infection and the antibiotics made him lose his appetite and gave him diarrhea (the vet didnt give probiotics at first despite me telling her my concern) so anyway hes now got probiotics and has been on supreme recovery yesterday and about an hour ago he suddenly looked alot brighter and is eating on his own again! Thank u to everyone on here who took the time to read and respond to my post x

Can a guinea pigs balance be permanently affected? The vet took my piggy off anti biotics after his reaction to them last weekend after taking them for 3 days. He hasnt had them since as on tuesday when he got checked at the vets again they said not to give him anymore and just to closely observe. the vet looked into his ears and seemed to think my piggy was better but he still topples over from time to time. He is eating and drinking as normal he hasnt lost weight and he is still happy and interacting with his surroundings

Does your piggy have a head tilt? Often balance issues take a while to resolve, so for now I would monitor carefully but I think you will find that things improve. I have dealt with a lot of ear infections in guinea pigs and some have left a permanent head tilt, but the more the piggy moves around the balance issues generally improve. We have sometimes found treating with panacur can really help with neurological problems.

Yes he does have a slight head tilt. Sometimes its not there but other times i can see it more. He isnt falling as much as he was and hes moving more and alot faster so fingers crossed he will regain his balance!

That is brilliant news thank you so much i worry about my guineas all the time i just want to do my absolute best for them. Does my vet prescribe panacur?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back