• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Guinea Pig Losing Hair :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

MacKenzie

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I just noticed today that my guinea pig is losing some hair around his eye. The skin also looks kind of dry/crusty. One eye looks completely normal. This is the first guinea pig I have had, so I'm not really sure what it is or what to do!

Lady Kelly

Staff member
Reaction score
With any sign of illness you need to find a vet, preferably one with guinea pig experience (can be a rare trait). We do have a vet locator on the top bar of vets recommended by members of this forum. If you could post your location (country, state or if in the UK county) by adding it to your profile by clicking through your profile page in the top right then that will help us to be able to tailor advice to you.

Guinea pigs are natures prey animal and very good at hiding illness, weighing them at least once a week at the same time of day would be useful and any sudden drop in weight is often the first sign of illness.

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi and welcome!

it sounds very much like fungal, possibly ringworm. Please have your piggy seen and diagnosed by a vet. Do not home treat on spec if possible, as that can go horribly wrong. You will need to treat any companions, too, as fungal is infectious. In the case of ringworm, it can jump species, so you need to be very careful to not infect yourself or any other pets and persons living in the same household.
If your piggies have come down with it within two weeks of getting them from a shop, you should be able to reclaim any vet cost from them.
https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/threads/ringworm-hygiene-and-pictures.115402/

As we have members from all over the world, we find it very helpful if you please added your country, state or (for the UK) your county to your details, so we can always tailor any advice or recommendations to what is available or possible for you straight away. Click on your username on the top bar, then go to personal details and scroll down to location.
We have got a piggy savvy vet locator on the top bar for our UK members, but we may able to provide links for other countries.

Status
Not open for further replies.