• UK storm warning - Danger of unseasonal high winds and falling trees! Please secure any hutches and sheds, and bring your guinea pigs and rabbits indoors if possible! Click Here for info
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Guinea pig making grunting/ purring/ snuffling noise

Melissa95

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I have noticed that my female guinea pig has started to make a grunting/ purring/ snuffling sound mainly when she eats. However, I have noticed that she does it sometimes when not eating as well.
Can anyone tell me what this could be as I am really starting to worry but I know that guinea pigs can make a lot of strange noises. It is only starting to worry me as she is doing it a lot of the time for about 2 weeks.
If anyone knows what this could be or if this is something to worry about can you please let me know?
I have tried to upload a video of this but it is not allowing me to, does anyone know if it needs to be a certain file extension or if I am not allowed to post videos on here?

Thanks very much!

Melissa.

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I have noticed that my female guinea pig has started to make a grunting/ purring/ snuffling sound mainly when she eats. However, I have noticed that she does it sometimes when not eating as well.
Can anyone tell me what this could be as I am really starting to worry but I know that guinea pigs can make a lot of strange noises. It is only starting to worry me as she is doing it a lot of the time for about 2 weeks.
If anyone knows what this could be or if this is something to worry about can you please let me know?
I have tried to upload a video of this but it is not allowing me to, does anyone know if it needs to be a certain file extension or if I am not allowed to post videos on here?

Thanks very much!

Melissa.
Hi and welcome

We are a member sponsored and run forum and do not have a video uploading facility as it would exceed our current bandwidth and our financial options. You can link any video into your thread if you upload it on a public setting elsewhere.

If you here breathing noises only when your girl is eating, then it means a slightly stuffy nose. Guinea pig airways are very narrow. They can also not breathe through their mouths but breathing is a bit more difficult when they are eating at the same time. That means that any slight obstruction in the airways is very noticeable.

You can find a list of symptoms for URI in this link here: What to check and look out for in new guinea pigs (vet checks, sexing, parasites&illness)