• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Guinea pig mourning her friend

EmmyEmmyOxenFree

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello there,

First time poster here. Yesterday Maximus Prime died. I put him in a box filled with vegetables, toys, hay, and notes. I buried him in a field in hopes that he'll be able to rest there.

I have three others that have been with me since his death. The Misses Mckisses, Cookie, and Chief. Both Miss and Chief had a hard time at first, but seem to have gotten along. I'm not sure about Cookie. She's walked around her cage, eaten her vegetables and hay, but I haven't seen her touch he pellets or water the last two days.

I know it's just recently happened, but I am oblivious know when it comes to understanding the mourning process in guinea pigs. When should I start to worry? Is there anything I can do to make it a bit better for her? I want her to pull through this healthy.

Thanks for the replies in advanced.

Rest in piece Maximus Prime.
We all loved you.

Attachments

• 20191107_010431.jpg
    20191107_010431.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 3
  • Snapchat-1259275946.jpg
    Snapchat-1259275946.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 3
I'm sorry to hear about your piggie.
We got lots friends on here and fantastic advise.
Rip little loved piggie.

Hello there,

First time poster here. Yesterday Maximus Prime died. I put him in a box filled with vegetables, toys, hay, and notes. I buried him in a field in hopes that he'll be able to rest there.

I have three others that have been with me since his death. The Misses Mckisses, Cookie, and Chief. Both Miss and Chief had a hard time at first, but seem to have gotten along. I'm not sure about Cookie. She's walked around her cage, eaten her vegetables and hay, but I haven't seen her touch he pellets or water the last two days.

I know it's just recently happened, but I am oblivious know when it comes to understanding the mourning process in guinea pigs. When should I start to worry? Is there anything I can do to make it a bit better for her? I want her to pull through this healthy.

Thanks for the replies in advanced.

Rest in piece Maximus Prime.
We all loved you.

Hi and welcome

I am ever so sorry for your loss and that you have found us under such sad circumstances!
You are welcome to post a tribute to Maximus Prime in our Rainbow Bridge section if you wish at any time it feels right for you.

Please switch from the normal life-long weekly health monitoring weigh-in to weighing daily at the same time in the feeding cycle.
Keep in mind that unlimited hay should make over 80% of the daily food intake while a limited amount of veg (10%) and 1 tablespoon of pellets (5%) are more in the way of a daily treat than the mainstay of the diet.
You can't judge the hay/overall food intake just by eye and can easily miss the fact that your piggy is eating very little and is losing weight very quickly in a very short time without a regular trip to the kitchen scales.
Weight - Monitoring and Management
Long Term Balanced General And Special Needs Guinea Pig Diets

Please see a vet as soon as your piggy has lost more than 50g and asap as an emergency if it has lost more than 100g in a very short time.
The loss of a companion can weaken the immune system and bring underlying issues to the fore or allow opportunistic issues a foot in. That is the reason why you can never diagnose acute pining (giving up on life there and then) or grieving depression (less severe) before you haven't closed out the medical angle.

Acute pining is rare, but even more so in a group setting where there are other companions although grieving for a close friend can cause a piggy to grieve more deeply and can become depressed. Loss of appetite caused by the death of a companion is usually instant while gradual loss of appetite is more often caused by illness.

Having to deal with another struggling piggy in the wake of a loss is really though! Piggies don't grieve any deeply than us and that can come out in different ways, the same as in humans.
Here are our emergency/crisis care tips to help you bridge the time until you can get veterinary care and any potential treatment can kick in: Emergency, Crisis and Bridging Care until a Vet Appointment

And here is some information and support for your own grieving process for the coming anxious days and the difficult weeks ahead as you can't hurry things on and have to go through all the stages in due time: Human Bereavement: Grieving, Coping and Support Links for Guinea Pig Owners and Their Children

So sorry you have lost your boy, sending hugs x
Sleep tight Maximus Prime x

Back