• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Guinea Pig Nibbled on Pothos Plant

Dipperoni

Junior Guinea Pig
Joined
Jan 8, 2024
Messages
16
Reaction score
15
Points
155
Location
Minnesota, USA
Hi, my male guinea pig was roaming the kitchen and took a quarter-sized bite out of a pothos plant. We're feeding him some cucumber to hopefully help him out. The plant is supposed to be poisonous, so I am unsure if I should call a vet since it's Sunday evening and no one is open. There's not much information on this situation online. I'm going to keep a good eye on him.

Any advice would be welcome.
 
I'm sorry about that, I don't know what to do. Maybe hay would be more helpful since that keeps the digestion going, might flush the poison out faster?

I went to the vet's once after I was worried about a plant being poisonous and my vet did something to flush my guinea's whole digestive system. So long ago now I can't remember the ins and outs. A vet visit would be best I'm sure, but if there are none open on Sunday that's a problem.

I hope one of the forum health experts will be on to answer, but afaik they're all in Europe so probably asleep.
 
Keep an eye on him. If he shows any sign of discomfort or being out of sorts then that's where you need to see a vet but at the moment, try not to worry yourself too much over it. Especially on a Sunday evening with poor vet cover. He's not the first forum pig to have eaten pothos, and wait and see is generally the advice we give.
 
Keep an eye on your piggy for the next 48 hours.
Switch to daily weight checks so you can monitor hay intake more closely

Contact your vet straight away if there is any change in his behaviour or appetite

I’ve attached an older thread from the same situation

Help! Guinea pig accidentally ate toxic plant!

I hope he js ok
 
Back
Top