• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Guinea Pig Noises

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Darky

As my last thread was, for the most part, rather ignored..

I was wondering if anyone can interpret certain guinea pig sounds?

When I have the guineas on my lap, being stroked and petted, they begin to do a purring type thing where they just sort of vibrate, almost like shivering, but they only do it when I stroke them.

Also - Fry (Laurie doesn't do this) then proceeds to make funny little noises when I stroke him. o_o

The sound like happy piggies to me :)

But I'm no expert - ive only ever had one and he used to nip when he was disgruntled

They make a chortling happy sound when they are content and of course settle into your lap
The Brrrrring and vibrating can mean don't touch my bum! or don't stroke my fur that way
If they generally start to make a winey whingy noise and wriggle it means "put me back I wanna wee or I'll nip you"!

Are you sure that's what the vribrating means? O_o

Because I'm just stroking them normally, head and back, and they seem perfectly content - they make the funny little chortling noise at the same time.

Laurie has now started making it, as they're both on my lap.

(Although Fry has collapsed to sleep.)

EDIT: There's another "brr" noise as well. Which is different, which might be what you're thinking of, when they literally make a "brrr" noise? o_o;

I tend to find when stroking my girls, that when they are enjoying it, they make a grinding teeth noise, especially when I'm rubbing behind their ears. If i go anywhere south tho towards their back end, I do get the warning sound, but that's quite a loud sound, and i think if they were doing that, you would know it meant 'hands off sister!' :D

As Billies mum said, I'm no expert on Piggie noises, but the quiet chatterings tend to be contentment I have always found, and the louder, more harsher sounds tend to be, get off me, sort of things... I think it also depends on your piggie as well tho at the end of the day. You get to know what they like and what they don't like.. and if you fit the noises they make into that, you start to learn which noises are happy ones and which noises are 'Piggie not happy' ones :)

I also find with Squeak especially, that if I am stroking her and she doesn't really want me stroking her, she'll throw her head up in the air to get my hand off her head and make a run for it!

I'm no expert but the noises you are describing your piggies making, sound happy content ones to me...

;)

x

Well that's good. ^^;

I think when Fry made a loud sort of 'brr' noise it was a warning noise - but otherwise they've seemed perfectly content whilst collapsed in a pile together on my lap, being doted on.

They clearly weren't handled when we got them from the pet shop, so it's great behaviour after four days. :D

Yer sounds like they getting used to you already :)

I think after a while you get to know your piggie anyway. You get to know what they like and what they hate... :) I know I cant go anywhere near Squeaks bum! She makes warning sounds and kicks her back leg in the air! haha But behind the ears.... I think she would let me do that all day if I could! haha ;D

x

Yep Darky all sounds good then, they've made home!

I'm no expert on noises I was just genralising to help you - still alls well now Good luck

I used to have my rinigng tone as a guinea pig sound. I got it from the internet and it had loads of different sounds and next to the sound it had what it ment. Not to sure if they where true!

Mary

haha that sounds ace! :)

Can just imagine me sitting in the middle of a customers office, and next thing, all everyone can hear is a guinepig popcorning!!

Would be funny! ;)

x

At least I knew it was my phone ringing! I had to put it on silent at work as I work at the vets and I would have had all the other staff runing around looking for the gp! So now I have it changed and my 7 year old daughter is singing on it!

Mary

hahahaha oh wow thats ace! ;D altho George my cockatiel, who 'was' sitting on my shoulder, didnt like it! hahaha ;D

x

I used to play it when I was holding my gps and their face was a picture!

Mary

Oh thanks for the link! When I rub my guinea pig he makes that happy sound. <3

Edit: Heh! Aww! I played those sounds with Bimbi on my lap and he talked back to the computer!

*~GuineaPiggable~*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back