• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Guinea pig noisy at night

Yoav

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi,
I have two guinea pigs (male and female).
All night they run in the cage, squeak, and make lots of noise.
My dad told me that if it didn't stop for the next two days, he would put them on the street.
How to make them stop the noise?

Guinea pigs are going to make a noise. They don’t sleep in long periods but instead only take short naps, they are going to run about and play and talk to each other.
Can you move them to a different room where they can’t be heard as easily at night?
He absolutely cannot put them on the street, that is awful.

It might be possible to put in the yard, but cats can pester them ....
No way to tame them?

Your piggies are just doing what piggies do. You can’t tame them. All four of mine wake me up during the night . I agree with piggies&buns try locate them in a different room if you can. I hope you resolve this with your dad

You can only put them outside if they are going to be safe - and that means having a secure wooden hutch with fine gauge wire mesh on the door to prevent predators from getting to them. You can’t put them outside in the cage you currently have them in (if it is still the same cage you showed us previously, then it is not suitable for outside)

Taming then (ie them growing used to you and being handled etc) will not stop them from making noise and running around - they are just doing what piggies do

Please consider contacting a good rescue if your dad continues to threaten to throw them out or discuss safe alternatives.
Please make him aware that he can be prosecuted for dumping pets.

Okay, by my ethics and Judaism, I can't take my father to court.
I'll update later.

By the way, I neutered my pig, and everything went in peace!
(I won't go into the issue, but I found a solution in Jewish law)

Are they living separately? Until six weeks have passed since his neuter? How long have you had them now?

The vet told me to separate them for two days.

Yes, you have said it to me many times, but the vet is the authority. Hope you understand me.

Yoav NOT all vets are experienced with small animals. ALWAYS read the info on this forum thru the guinea pig guides. This info has been summarised by many experienced guinea pig owners. They DO know what they are talking about.
I would hope your Dad did not really mean that he would put the guinea pigs out on the street. BUT I think you should look into rescue centres as I fear you may end up with a pregnant sow😕

Re-read all the pregnancy information we provided to you last time, as Betsy has said, she will need to be put on pregnancy watch again.

How long have you had them @Yoav
I think you had her on pregnancy watch anyway since they were together from the beginning. I think you should prepare for babies in any case. If your dad is complaining about the noise then he won’t be happy if there are babies as well. Also, did you manage to get them a bigger cage?

How experienced are the vets when it comes to guinea pigs? A neutered boar can get a sow pregnant up to six weeks after the neutering.

If you have trouble with keeping your guinea pigs, then please contact this organisation below and see whether they can help you to make sure that your guinea pigs are safe or can recommend some other place in your area. I am deeply sorry that your particular shade of Orthodox Judaism is making things so difficult for you when it comes to pet keeping.
SPCA Israel - SPCA International

On the neutering score - you have about 1/3 of a chance of not having babies, so I would most strongly recommend to brace for the rather strong possibilty of baby guinea pigs and their much livelier round the clock noise in about two months time.
I won't say anymore except that you'd please read up especially on the dietary support at the top of our pregnancy link and that you'd better have a plan in place in view of your lack of family support when any babies arrive.
Pregnancy, Mother & Baby Care Guides

Otherwise I can only hope that you have a very lucky escape... or that your vet has removed the tubes that lead from the testicles to anus, too. Normally they are left in together with any semen that is still contained in there and can stay viable for over 5 weeks up to 3 months in very rare cases.
The little baby in my avatar picture on the left is the unplanned legacy of a supposedly safe vet cleared over 5 weeks post-op boar (not one of mine I want to add; I only found that out after Tegan's mother presented me with a little surprise not long after her arrival). Just to say!

Back