• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Guinea Pig Nose Congestion

Syrpud

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello fellow piggy lovers,
I have 4 male guinea pigs who live very well together. However, about 5 months ago one of them got a stuffy nose (the other 3 are perfectly healthy). I took him to the vet and he was prescribed antibiotics that didn’t help him at all. He still has a stuffy nose but he eats, runs, plays, drinks and poops normally. I sit with him in a steamy bathroom sometimes and it seems to help a little. Is it something guinea pigs can have their whole life? It doesn’t seem life-threatening as he’s been congested for quite some time now. Any advice? Thank you.

Hi and welcome

Please check for sensitivities to the environment, from bedding, hay dust, house dust, air fresheners, perfumes and scented products in the room and on your body etc. It is a slow elimination process and a pretty wide area unfortunately.

While allergies in guinea pigs are thankfully rare, some piggies can be rather sensitive to an irritant in their environment.

Here is more information: Irritants to Avoid Around Guinea Pigs

Back