• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Guinea Pig Not Cleaning Itself Properly?

Status
Not open for further replies.

xxaimeexx

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
@Wiebke Squiggles my albino rex guinea pig has had some problems with faeces around her anus during the past week. I have been observing her and recently stepped in to clean for her. I am going to call the vet tomorrow to ask about the problem. I will also post a picture tomorrow showing how faeces builds up in that area. She has had completely normal poops so I don't know why she can't keep clean down there. She has only had the problem during the past week or so. Any advice on what may be the problem? As I have said before she is 4-5 years old and is showing her age but not overly so. Oh and her cage is kept as clean as possible and her sis Holly has no problems. Thanks xx

It is likely that she could have become a bit arthritic. I would ask the vet to check (if necessary with an x-ray). Good that you are having her seen promptly!

Yeah thanks she is also a bit on the skinny side, her sis Holly is a little fatty. Thing about arthritis is that she seems pretty flexible and supple most of the time and can reach up for hay easily enough. I think i will definitely have to make a vet trip soon. Quite confused :hmm:

Yeah thanks she is also a bit on the skinny side, her sis Holly is a little fatty. Thing about arthritis is that she seems pretty flexible and supple most of the time and can reach up for hay easily enough. I think i will definitely have to make a vet trip soon. Quite confused :hmm:

Nerys, who is pretty arthritic in her joints, can still stand up on the grids for begging, but she struggles to clean herself. It very much depends on what is affected. I am sure that your vet can give her a thorough onceover!

Thank you very much! I have no problem with daily cleaning for her but was a bit worried that she could be very ill. :(:)

Today I cleaned her up and also trimmed the fur around the affected area and I found this(see picture) I think it is normal but don't claim to be a guinea pig anatomy expert! @Wiebke Can you take a look please!xx DSCF6466.JPG

Thanks that's what I thought it was. Its all clean now! Again links back to arthritis. Unfortunately I'm not sure if I can get a vet appointment this week as it isn't a major emergency and we are very busy. Thanks for replying:luv: xx

That's a great page! Very informative! I will bathe the two of them properly as soon as the weather is a bit better! Love my cuties!:love: These are from a photo shoot in the summer, they are so photogenic!
10473620_325776824250880_4185314357758375831_n.jpg
10653663_325776407584255_7271525591171906519_n.jpg

Gorgeous pigtures. I hope Squiggles is better soon.
She has gone downhill now :,,( I took her too the vets today. She is so thin so they think it is a problem with her teeth. Unfortunately she has to go under anaesthetic tomorrow to get a dental :.( its for the best though. Have you ever had a guinea pig anaesthetised?

She has gone downhill now :,,( I took her too the vets today. She is so thin so they think it is a problem with her teeth. Unfortunately she has to go under anaesthetic tomorrow to get a dental :.( its for the best though. Have you ever had a guinea pig anaesthetised?
I am so sorry,
No I haven't. :(

Best of luck!

Please make sure that you have everything ready to hand feed her in the next days or even weeks and that you also get metacam t ease the discomdort and soreness. Many dental piggies struggle to get back to eating after dentals and may need further filing until everything is working fully again. Weigh your girl daily at the same time instead of weekly as with any healthy piggy.
https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/threads/complete-hand-feeding-guide.115359/

Thanks! Yeah I will get whatever I need out tonight once I have read the thread you recommend. I will have to see if the vet recommends Metacam or no. Hopefully she will recover well. I will log her weight gain/loss over the next week/months, hopefully she puts on weight!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back