• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Guinea pig not eating, no sounds, looks lethargic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
She was fine in the morning, now she just looks lethargic, she ALWAYS purred when I pet her and I mean ALWAYS! Now she's not making any sounds, She was absolutely fine in the morning and she's not licking me too, she always licks me. She's not eating too, the vet isn't open today as it's sunday here in Canada. She's pooing still though. Her cage is always clean, what's wrong?!

is there no emergency vet?
is she taking on water ?
when did she stop eating ?

There's an emergency vet in Surrey which is 2-3 hours from where we live and we don't have a car. They don't work on small animals anyways so there's no point. About 4 hours ago I think she stopped. We offered her an apple, some grass, lettuce and she always eats those but she isn't this time. She's always been healthy aside from a mouth infection about 2 years ago which she overcame. We pick grass for her and always rinse it with water, but our other guinea pig also ate the grass and she's not showing any signs of illness.

I would get her to a vet asap if she is not eating. It might be a good idea if you can syringe feed her some mashed pellets and veggies.

How is her breathing? Is she weeing and drinking? Is her tummy swollen and tight feeling? That could be bloat. Has she had anything different to eat?

Does she want to eat but is having difficulty?

I would get her to a vet asap if she is not eating. It might be a good idea if you can syringe feed her some mashed pellets and veggies.

How is her breathing? Is she weeing and drinking? Is her tummy swollen and tight feeling? That could be bloat. Has she had anything different to eat?

We can't get her to a vet today, it's closed on sunday (today), the emergency vet doesn't take small animals and our local vet is allergic to guinea pigs. Her breathing is fine, depending on how she's sitting/laying down her tummy feels bloated but when she lays down comfy with her head to the side she feels normal. She is pooing too. Nothing different to eat, she's not completely silent, she squeaks/or talks however you want to call it a bit, she was a bit resistant when we tried to pick her up, like she backed up a bit. But she isn't doing the purring sound which she literally ALWAYS does. Every single time I pet her she purrs but she isn't this time, in her cage she looked uncomfortable but when we took her on her blanket she was laying very comfortably. She looks more tired/lethargic than usual and she doesn't want to eat her favorite foods which she always eats. Not sure about drinking yet. She was completely fine in the morning about 4 hours ago.

Sorry about double post but she was just eating some hay right now.
(Couldn't edit post)

It's good that she has had some hay. I would keep an eye on her and get her to the vet in the morning. Hope she is better soon :)

She's eating grass :) Can't say too much we'll see today and if she still doesn't look 100% like herself we'll take her to the vet to be sure.

Welcome to the forum. From what you have described a gastric upset, e.g. bloat, sounds like a reasonable explanation, even if she just seemed "off" for a few hours.

On palpating her abdomen, is/was it feeling soft and squishy as usual, or feeling a little tight and springy (bit like a balloon)?

I hope she is continuing to get back to her normal self.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back