• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Guinea Pig Not Moving?

Eeden

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi! My guinea pig is currently 8 years old, and as my family are about to move to England, we have to leave him with our neighbors. We let them play with Muffin for two hours, and when he came back, he sat in a corner and did not let out any urine or feces for the whole day. What should I do? He is usually a very active guinea pig, so I was shocked when he started not moving.

5162B23A-DADE-4A20-8645-BB09495843EB.jpeg
Above is Muffin before going to my neighbors.

Please have him seen by the vet as soon as possible if he hasn’t urinated or done any poo for one day. You also need to step in with syringe feeding him.

Hi! My guinea pig is currently 8 years old, and as my family are about to move to England, we have to leave him with our neighbors. We let them play with Muffin for two hours, and when he came back, he sat in a corner and did not let out any urine or feces for the whole day. What should I do? He is usually a very active guinea pig, so I was shocked when he started not moving.

View attachment 171951
Above is Muffin before going to my neighbors.

Hi!

Please see a vet asap for a hands-on examination. It may be that your piggy's body has started to close down, considering his advanced age, but only a vet can tell you what is going on.

Here is some information you may find helpful:
Emergency, Crisis and Bridging Care until a Vet Appointment
A Practical and Sensitive Guide to Dying, Terminal Illness and Euthanasia in Guinea Pigs

Hello, and thank you for the helpful replies. Unfortunately, Muffin passed away last night and is now in heaven.

I’m so sorry for your loss. 8 is a great age. You obviously gave him a fantastic life.

Hello, and thank you for the helpful replies. Unfortunately, Muffin passed away last night and is now in heaven.

I am very sorry. 8 years is a great age.

Sadly, that often means when something goes wrong or blows up, it does so very quickly and dramatically in the very elderly because of their frailty. :(

You may find the information in this link here helpful as you are going through the grieving process: Death, Dying, Terminal Illness, Grieving and Bereaved Companions: Information and Support for Owners and Their Children

Back