• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Guinea Pig Not Pooping After Baytril

Status
Not open for further replies.

Piglet Keeper

New Born Pup
Reaction score
HI All,

I'm new to the forum, so hello everybody :)

I have four piggies Biff, Nibbler, Chip and Fudge. Biff and Nibbler are brothers and 'were' sharing a cage until Monday. On Monday morning I came downstairs to find Biff limping with a bite mark in his hind leg and it was swollen, so naturally I took him to the vet and they gave him some Baytril for the infection and some Metacam for pain relief.

I started giving him the medication on Monday evening and up until yesterday morning (Wednesday) he seemed to be fine the swelling had gone down and he was walking on it. However I noticed on Wednesday morning that he has stopped eating his pellets and only eats the veg I give him, plus I've not found a poop in his cage at all, and usually there's loads! I called the vets and they said to stop the medication and see if he starts pooping again, if he doesn't by today then I need to bring him in.

If there is no poop when I get home from work I will take him this goes without saying, but I was wondering if there is anything else I can be doing to help him as I'm not 100% confident in the vets ability with small animals. I have seen some probiotic in Pets at Home which looks like it might help, what are your suggestions?

sport_billy

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Baytril can upset tums a little. Well worth speaking to the vet about getting some gut stimulant called metoclopramide (emeprid) they can give you some to give at home - this will get the guts moving and push everything through, he may have a little gas trapped. Gently massaging the sides of his tummy may help shift it, but a definite vet visit needed so well done for sorting it.

It may also be worth asking the vet to switch AB to something like Septrin which is a well tolerated antibiotic for piggies if the baytril is proving too harsh

Welcoem to the forum, please keep us updated and lots of love and healing vibes to your little one

Piglet Keeper

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi All,

Just an update on Biff, I came home from work with probiotic in hand and checked on little him and I've never been so happy to see so many liquorice torpedoes!

It appears that 24 hours off of the bacteria has had an effect, he's eating normally again too. I've given all four pigs some of the probiotic just as a bit extra. Is it wise to keep them on probiotic or should I only use it for situations like this? Biff and Nibbler are 14 month, Chip and Fudge are 5 month.

Thanks for all of your help everybody.

Status
Not open for further replies.