• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Guinea Pig passed away, help with question.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Ok, I have/had 2 guinea pigs, Barcardi & Coke. Bacardi was/is 8 and Coke is 6. My mum called to say she found Bacardi passed away, quite sad, she was my wee dude. She added that Coke seemed really upset, squealing loudly and nudging Bacardi and kind of jumping on her as if to waken her up.

Obviously my mum sorted it out and said Coke calmed down and when I came in from work gave her a wee cuddle and some attention for a wee bit but I'm wondering if I should get another one or just let Coke live her life and see what happens?

I'm inclined to just let Coke live and give her more attention when possible but I really hate to think of her by herself when I'm away to work or whatever but at the same time, she's getting old also and it actually upsets me alot when they pass on, I lost my last pig, Breezer and it's just not nice. Might just let Bacardi do her thing and not get anymore pigs after, I love the wee things but when they die it just upsets me more I think it should in a good way of course.

So should I get her a wee pal or just let her live her life alone?

Any help would be great, thanks!

Sorry to hear of your loss, maybe you could rehome a girl of a similar age?

Sorry for your loss but 8 is grand age for a piggy.

I would contact a local rescue and see if they have a older female that you can bond with Coke. Most rescues are happy to bond piggys and that way Coke can 'choose' a friend herself.

Good luck and hope you find Coke a friend soon. x x

Aww, so sorry to hear about poor Bacardi passing away. Do you have any ideas what was wrong?

As for a companion, if it were me (cos I'm very sentimental and soppy), I would try the suggestions of the girls above my post and try and find a nice companion for Coke. Much better to have a little pal, although it may feel a little strange at first, I'm sure with time, Coke will feel contented. Just my thoughts though.

RIP little Bacardi. xx

Thanks for the replies.

I'll look into what's around the Glasgow area in terms of getting a new companion or something else.

It just makes me so sad to see her by herself, I know it's just a wee animal but I'd hate to think she's sad by herself. I'll see what I can do anyway.

As for what do I think was up with Bacardi, I have no idea, she seemed fine, although she had lost quite a bit of weight, but seemed to be eating away fine. I had a small feeling she might have been going blind as when to go and feed her sometimes she wouldn't know where her wee treats were, I dunno, might be reading too much into that but I just hope she didn't suffer, I'd hate that.

As everyone has said to me, 8 was a great age for her so I'm glad of that.

Just can't believe how much it's upset me, I've not got a heart of stone but I'm usually quite objective when things like this happen, even to fellow humans and not animals!

Ah well, may my wee pal rest in peace, I miss her already.

RIP Bacardi.

So sorry to hear about your loss. 8 is a good age and I'm sure she had a great life with Coke - try to take some comfort from that.

Its always so hard and upsetting when they pass away :(

I agree with the other comments too about getting her (or letting her choose) a pal. I'm sure there are plenty around here (Glasgow area) needing a home.

Keep us posted,

x

Awwww- I'm sorry for your loss. It sounds like she had a good long life- eight years is a great age for a piggie!

I agree with some of the suggestions to rehome an older pig so that Coke has company but you don't have the 'long term commitment' of a young pig. I understand with the 'I just can't do this anymore' feeling you have right now, but think it might be tied to acute grief right now. We lost one of our pigs last summer and it was heartbreaking... she was young too, so it was unexpected. During the couple of weeks that she was very ill I kept bawling on and off and saying that I couldn't handle any more small pets, because I would love them so much and they just don't live that long in the great scheme of things. Once she passed and the worst of the grief was over, I came to the conclusion that the love your give and get is worth the pain at the end... and yes, we did go out and get another piggie to keep our remaining pig company. Though it's a bit different for us, as she is only two and could potentially spend a long time alone if we didn't bring home a new companion.

((HUGS)) and best of luck with your decision!

If you want to continue getting pigs then I would say get another one, but if you intend on this being your last then spoil her and keep her on her own otherwise you will have to go through this all again in the future.

First of all, I'm really sorry for your loss. Our thoughts are with you, your mum and Coke.

I think Ruth's hit the nail on the head too. If you want to have more piggies then Coke would definitely appreciate a friend around. Otherwise, lots of attention and care and carrots if you don't.

I'm sure it's something you'll decide later on and not something you'll want to rush into. Either way, I'm sure Coke will be happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back