Guinea pig pee

Sue Cox

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi I'm new to the forum, my question is I have 2 gorgeous female pigs Bella is mainly white Tinker a mixture of browns. Bella is the one her fur at the back end is going yellow where she sits in pee can anyone give me advice as to keeping it clean, I have shampooed but its constant.

Sue Cox

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I have puppy pads on floor covered with newspapers, and fleece in there houses. I'm trying to toilet train there toilet box has sawdust they also pee in there hay box.

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Piggies can’t be truly toilet trained. They will go to the toilet where they eat but they will do it wherever they feel like it.

Sorry to be clear, you say puppy pads and newspaper and fleece in the houses - do you mean that the fleece is only in their houses and the the rest of the cage is just puppy pads and newspaper? If so, then that isn’t going to keep them away from the damp, you’ll want a more forgiving bedding than newspaper all over
Perhaps try using some pee pads in their houses as you can then change them out more frequently to ensure they are always dry

If they are long haired, then keep their hair short around their bums

Sue Cox

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Piggies can’t be truly toilet trained. They will go to the toilet where they eat but they will do it wherever they feel like it.

Sorry to be clear, you say puppy pads and newspaper and fleece in the houses - do you mean that the fleece is only in their houses and the the rest of the cage is just puppy pads and newspaper? If so, then that isn’t going to keep them away from the damp, you’ll want a more forgiving bedding than newspaper all over
Perhaps try using some pee pads in their houses as you can then change them out more frequently to ensure they are always dry

They don't pee in there houses mainly on newspaper or in hay box perhaps newspapers aren't that good would fleece on top of puppy pads be better I clean up the wet paper everyday.

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Yes fleece on top of puppy pads all over the cage is much better. The fleece wicks the urine away to pads and leaves the fleece dry on the top for them. Newspaper won’t do it in quite the same way.

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Thank you for the advice will shampooing get the urine out of Bella fur
if it’s stained then it probably won’t come out straight away. The odd bum bath is fine but don’t do too often as it’s not good for their skin.