• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Guinea Pig Poo

Shannonford101

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Both my Guineas poo is slightly crumblier/soft and lighter, an orangey/brown colour.
I am thinking to reduce veg and see how it goes.
Any other suggestions? I’m slightly conflicted as I want to give them more cucumber in case they are dehydrated but I also don’t want to give them too much veg.
I have also treated for mites today as Bugzy had a slight bit of dry crusty skin in his ear. We had some clorexyderm which has been applied to the ear too.

Chickenpies

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I would leave them off of veg for a day/couple of days, until it normalises. Have you fed them yellow peppers or anything that can change the colour? My piggies weren’t drinkers, but when I reduced veg, they started to drink a bit more. I’m not expert but I hope it helps!

Shannonford101

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I would leave them off of veg for a day/couple of days, until it normalises. Have you fed them yellow peppers or anything that can change the colour? My piggies weren’t drinkers, but when I reduced veg, they started to drink a bit more. I’m not expert but I hope it helps!
I think they’ve only had green peppers, lettuce, spinach and a couple sprigs of chive in the last couple days. I don’t know if perhaps they had a bit much.
I was sleeping in at work so my partner was in charge. I’m thinking no veg until Monday & I have ordered some Pro C for them.
Thank you!

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
I wouldn’t worry about poops being like that. If they are very soft and runny, then that is when you take them off veg.

They will drink what they need to drink you don’t need to do anything there.

Please don’t ever feed chives - they are a member of the onion family and are not safe for guinea pigs

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Also, you say you’ve treated for mites - did you go to the vet and get mites diagnosed and a proper ivermectin treatment? If not, then please don’t treat for mites, only a vet can diagnose and give the correct prescription strength treatment

Dry skin on the ear could be a fungal infection and not mites at all. With mites you’d perhaps see excess scratching, bald patches, or egg casings in the back end of the piggy

Last edited:

Shannonford101

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Also, you say you’ve treated for mites - did you go to the vet and get mites diagnosed and a proper ivermectin treatment? If not, then please don’t treat for mites, only a vet can diagnose and give the correct prescription strength treatment

Dry skin on the ear could be a fungal infection and not mites at all. With mites you’d perhaps see excess scratching, bald patches, or egg casings in the back end of the piggy
We’ve just given spot on gel as we treat 3 monthly just to be safe. They’ve only had one gel instead of the recommended two, just to be careful.
The gel I have treated the ear with is for fungal infections and doesn’t interact with the spot on gel. We’ve done both before with sign off from the vet.
Also the spot on gel we use is exotic vet approved. I would never haphazard my boys.

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
We’ve just given spot on gel as we treat 3 monthly just to be safe. They’ve only had one gel instead of the recommended two, just to be careful.
The gel I have treated the ear with is for fungal infections and doesn’t interact with the spot on gel. We’ve done both before with sign off from the vet.
Also the spot on gel we use is exotic vet approved. I would never haphazard my boys.
Treating as a preventive routinely every few months is not recommended as it can cause resistance to build up so when and if they really do have a parasite problem, the treatment runs the risk of being ineffective. A functioning immune system can prevent on its own.

It’s best to always see a vet every time something comes up even if it is the same as something which has occurred before

Shannonford101

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I wouldn’t worry about poops being like that. If they are very soft and runny, then that is when you take them off veg.

They will drink what they need to drink you don’t need to do anything there.

Please don’t ever feed chives - they are a member of the onion family and are not safe for guinea pigs
I did think that chives may have been an issue after they had them, but google was split so I couldn’t find a conclusive answer. They only had a couple sprigs on Thursday and nothing since then. I even binned them to ensure that nobody else fed them any. :-)
Thank you 😊

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score

Shannonford101

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Treating as a preventive routinely every few months is not recommended as it can cause resistance to build up so when and if they really do have a parasite problem, the treatment runs the risk of being ineffective. A functioning immune system can prevent on its own.

It’s best to always see a vet every time something comes up even if it is the same as something which has occurred before
I was just going by other information I had always been told. I didn’t know this was the case.
As far as vets are concerned, I just wanted to see if we could prevent anything before it gets worse. The gel is only a protective moisturising barrier so should be fine I think? I’m trying to prevent having to call out an emergency vet as nothing will be open again until Tuesday. Also we’ve been to the vets twice in the last fortnight so if I can treat at home first it would be financially helpful. I only have so much put back for the guineas.

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
I was just going by other information I had always been told. I didn’t know this was the case.
As far as vets are concerned, I just wanted to see if we could prevent anything before it gets worse. The gel is only a protective moisturising barrier so should be fine I think? I’m trying to prevent having to call out an emergency vet as nothing will be open again until Tuesday. Also we’ve been to the vets twice in the last fortnight so if I can treat at home first it would be financially helpful. I only have so much put back for the guineas.
Vets, particularly out of hours, are expensive, but home treatment is never recommended. You can inadvertently make things worse, and therefore more expensive, by not getting diagnosed and the correct prescribed treatment from the beginning. Putting treatments on before seeing a vet can mask symptoms and make diagnosis harder