• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Guinea pig pooping and peeing but not eating

Guineapigdad

New Born Pup
Reaction score
My guinea pig is pooing and peeing but he don't move alot and not eatting or drinking so feeding him by syringe, he looks bloated, can anyone advise what is best to do for him, thanks in advance.

When did he stop eating please?

Poo looks fine does it?

As above... please take your piggy to a vet asap

My guinea pig is pooing and peeing but he don't move alot and not eatting or drinking so feeding him by syringe, he looks bloated, can anyone advise what is best to do for him, thanks in advance.

Hi!

Please contact an out of hours vet asap.

You can find practical tips and information in the guides below but please see a vet as quickly as you can.
How to contact a vet out of hours
List Of Life And Death Out-of-hours Emergencies
Digestive Disorders: Diarrhea - Bloat - GI Stasis (No Gut Movement) And Not Eating

Hello,

I took my guinea pig to the vets and they said he is heavy breathing, bloated abdomen and weak.

So he has to staying hospital and have x-ray, have a oxbow critical care Sach food bag, a fluid bag and have medication emeprid, metacam, vetergesic, and cisapride.

They said there contact us and let us know how it goes.

Really hoping he pulls through as only 9 months old.

Just got a phone call and they said my guinea pig is full of gas which is pushing they organs together and that they puncture a hole in the side of him to release the gas and then they will try feed and give him water.

Just got a phone call and they said my guinea pig is full of gas which is pushing they organs together and that they puncture a hole in the side of him to release the gas and then they will try feed and give him water.

Fingers very firmly crossed for your poorly boy!

Thanks for all the lovely messages but he didn't make it, they manage to get the gas out but he was not strong enough and was weak and hard breathing so was best to put him to sleep 😢 what is best to do with my other guinea pig, as he is fine at the moment and has his cuddle toy in there and pop corning as just filled up his hay and pellets, so I need to get him another friend or will he be fine 🤗

Thanks for all the lovely messages but he didn't make it, they manage to get the gas out but he was not strong enough and was weak and hard breathing so was best to put him to sleep 😢 what is best to do with my other guinea pig, as he is fine at the moment and has his cuddle toy in there and pop corning as just filled up his hay and pellets, so I need to get him another friend or will he be fine 🤗

I'm sorry for your loss.

your other piggy will have a period of grieving but he will need a new character compatible companion within the next few weeks (Ideally a new companion found via dating at a rescue centre as it ensures character compatibility and a successful bond , but we can advise you further about that when things aren’t so raw)

in the meantime, the guides below can help with further information on how to care fo per a grieving piggy as well as information for yourself

Death, Dying, Terminal Illness, Grieving and Bereaved Companions: Information and Support for Owners and Their Children

I am very sorry. Please take consolation in that you have done everything you could. Severe bloat is sadly a rather frightening killer disease for guinea pigs that can come on very quickly out of the blue.
If you feel the need to understand what happened and make sense of it, then this guide here may help you explain what you have been up against: Digestive Disorders: Diarrhea - Bloat - GI Stasis (No Gut Movement) And Not Eating

Make sure that you feed a mainly grass hay based diet (80% of the daily food intake) with only a little green veg and only 1 tablespoon of pellets per piggy per day. You can never prevent severe bloat entirely as there are several factors in play which you cannot influence. But your diet is the one way you can help to minimise the risk a little. Being able to do things actively may hopefully help you with your grieving process and especially the feelings of failure and guilt that are characteristic for the onset of the grieving process.
Long Term Balanced General And Special Needs Guinea Pig Diets

Our Death and Grieving information link contains a guide about looking after a bereaved companion in the immediate aftermath and medium term until you can find him a character compatible companion; ideally of his choice by rescue dating if that is possible in view of the fluid pandemic situation this year (the bereaved companion guide contains a link to recommended good welfare standard guinea pig rescues).
It also contains a practical and sensitive human grieving guide to help you as you deal with your own feelings of loss; as well as providing a range of resources to help you if you have children or are badly struggling yourself.
Death, Dying, Terminal Illness, Grieving and Bereaved Companions: Information and Support for Owners and Their Children
Single Guinea Pigs - Challenges and Responsibilities

I'm sorry for your loss.

your other piggy will have a period of grieving but he will need a new character compatible companion within the next few weeks (Ideally a new companion found via dating at a rescue centre as it ensures character compatibility and a successful bond , but we can advise you further about that when things aren’t so raw)

in the meantime, the guides below can help with further information on how to care fo per a grieving piggy as well as information for yourself

Many thanks for the reply, Yes today is hard and the other guinea pig is fine at the moment, but dose seem a bit annoyed as took his friend away, so giving him lots of kiss and cuddles

Back