• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Guinea Pig Query!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Almostmad

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hello,
I am seriously thinking of Adopting a G.Pig. It was previously with a G.Pig but when it developed the head tilt the other G.Pig bullied it and wouldn't allow it to eat/share a bed with it. Since the other has been taken away this one has thrived and seems happy. My only worry is that if I adopt it, will it be lonely? I'm at work (Pets at Home) sometimes 9hours a day and I don't want to adopt this G.Pig if it will become lonely :( I'm animal friendly and knowledgable and have completed numerous courses in Animal Management so I would care for the G.Pig to a high standard. Also I'm worried that if I did introduce a mate, the head tilt one would get bullied and maybe not accept the new one! Can anyone shed some light on this please? Much appreciated!
Also it would be my first G.Pig :)
Many thanks!

Hello, welcome to the forum :)

The Guinea pig you are thinking of adopting, is it from where you work? Do you know what caused the head tilt or did they always have it? Are they a boy or a girl?

Yeah she's from PAH. I've been there all of her time in my work and have developed a bond with her :( I know what she was treated with and what affected her and caused her to have the head tilt. She's such a quirky little character and I don't want her going to someone that won't look after her but then I'm worried incase I can't give her the amount of attention she needs due to work hours :( my normal shifts are 6hours but on occasion I do a 6-3, 7-4 or a 12-9 :/.

Hi and welcome!

Please do not keep single piggies! Are you aware that there are good and knowledgeable rescues that would help to find and bond your special piggy with a suitably kind-natured mate?
https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/threads/companionship.37654/
https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/pages/guinea-pig-rescue-locator/

Is the piggy you are thinking of a boy or a girl and do you know what has caused the head tilt? An (un- or undertreated) ear infection or a neurological problem? Is the piggy with the head-tilt in p@h where you work?

I'm in Northern Ireland and I can't think of anywhere that would offer that apart from one Charity. Would it be better if I got a younger G.Pig? I just don't want to risk her getting bullied or becoming thin again due to a dominant Guinea :( then what do I do if I do get another as a companion and they don't get on, keep that G.Pig or give it up for Adoption? I'd feel terrible for the 'rejected' G.Pig! It would break my heart!

Yeah she's from PAH. I've been there all of her time in my work and have developed a bond with her :( I know what she was treated with and what affected her and caused her to have the head tilt. She's such a quirky little character and I don't want her going to someone that won't look after her but then I'm worried incase I can't give her the amount of attention she needs due to work hours :( my normal shifts are 6hours but on occasion I do a 6-3, 7-4 or a 12-9 :/.

OK, so she is a girl! have you considered looking for a gentle neutered boar as a companion, ideally one she can date at a rescue so you know that they are in love and getting on, and the choice is the piggies'?

Guinea pigs chuck underpiggies out from a prime spot as a matter of dominance. If a dominant ill piggy loses its top spot in thecourse of being severely ill, the underpiggy will take over and exert dominance. This doesn't affect the bond itself that the piggies have, just the form that the relationship is taking. Guinea pigs can be very caring as long as the ill piggy is not endangering the survival of their group.
https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/threads/sow-behaviour.38561/

I'm in Northern Ireland and I can't think of anywhere that would offer that apart from one Charity. Would it be better if I got a younger G.Pig? I just don't want to risk her getting bullied or becoming thin again due to a dominant Guinea :( then what do I do if I do get another as a companion and they don't get on, keep that G.Pig or give it up for Adoption? I'd feel terrible for the 'rejected' G.Pig! It would break my heart!

In that case, a submissive little girl may be your best choice. It would be good if your please added Northern Ireland to your details. We are aware of the rescue location there and would be able to adapt any advice straight away. ;)

Ahh right! That G.Pig that she was with was not letting her eat so she was becoming very underweight! That same G.Pig is still at my work, would it be wise to re-introduce them as cage mates? They've been apart for a couple of weeks, would that affect their relationship?

Can anyone advise me on what the best way to go about this would be? Where is the charity in N.I?

The rescue is Assisi in Belfast. They occasionally, but not always, have got guinea pigs. http://www.assisi-ni.org/

If you want the two girls back, you would likely have to feed them separately and make sure that you have got everything in twos (including hay racks) and also rather feed veg and pellets in several smaller portions that can be eaten in one go to prevent food bullying. The bond should re-establish quickly, but you may want to look out whether the head-tilt sow is fine with it. Otherwise you can look out for a less dominant sow.

Ahh yes that was the one I was thinking of! Head tilt G.Pig (I've named her Betty...) was much happier today! She was popcorning and back to her usual quirky self. Think it was the move into Adoption that had made her quiet. About to order her a lovely big hutch and playpen :) then I can get her adopted :) I'm so excited! Thank you so much for all your help, much appreciated!

Best of luck! Your little girl is certainly happier with company, but you will have to decide which is suitable for her.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back