• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Guinea pig reluctant to move

DonnaB

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I have a rescued guinea pig who I think is about four years old but could be older. For the past couple of days he has been reluctant to move and stays in his cottage in the cage. He comes out everyday with his playmate (who is younger) for a run in a playpen. He does move when he's out playing but very slowly his back legs seem stiff. Is there anything I could do for him? He eats normally and seems fine in himself but has just really slowed up recently.

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
You will need to have your piggy seen by a vet for diagnosis.

Keep a check on his weight (weigh each week while piggy is healthy, but if you have health concerns then switch to daily weighing to ensure he really is eating enough hay and not losing weight).

Weight - Monitoring and Management

please could you change your profile to remove your post code for your own security. just adding your county is enough for us to be able to tailor our advice

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
I have a rescued guinea pig who I think is about four years old but could be older. For the past couple of days he has been reluctant to move and stays in his cottage in the cage. He comes out everyday with his playmate (who is younger) for a run in a playpen. He does move when he's out playing but very slowly his back legs seem stiff. Is there anything I could do for him? He eats normally and seems fine in himself but has just really slowed up recently.
Hi!

Please make a vet appointment for as soon as possible; he may have painful arthritis but there can be a number of other causes. Only a hands-on vet examination can tell you what is going on and can address any issues medically to make him more comfortable and feeling better in himself and be a bit more active again.

Please monitor the weight daily at the same time and step in top up feeding if necessary. Keep in mind that around 80% of the daily food intake is unlimited hay, which you cannot measure by eye. Just watching him eating his veg and pellets is like watching your piggy eating the equivalent of an afternoon snack but not the main meals. Only the scales (and normal kitchen scales will do) will give you a true up to date picture so you can tailor any support measures accordingly.
Please make sure that there is a good hay supply on the floor close to hidey and that he can also reach the water bottle without having to rear up on the hind legs and lifting his head.
Review your bedding options and change the bedding/cosy in the hidey at least twice daily.
Take the time to read this guide here. It continues a list of possible causes for mobility loss, practical care tips, bedding information/cage adaptations and a list of secondary complications that can arise from reduced mobility: Looking after guinea pigs with limited or no mobility

Here is our emergency and crisis care guide, which you may want to bookmark in case there is a sudden deterioration: Emergency, Crisis and Bridging Care until a Vet Appointment