• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Guinea Pig Seems Very Ill

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mallory

I'm so worried! I have had my guinea pig for about a month now. He is young, not even a year old. He wouldn't eat or drink at first, but after about a week got used to us and ate his pellets, tons of Timothy hay, and drank his water. I offered fresh fruits and vegs (alway vegs, fruit a few times a week.) He loves green pepper, apple, and lettuce, but wouldn't touch anything else so I always gave him those. His food has vitamin C, and I also put vita drops in his water. He ate a piece of orange and carrot for the first time yesterday, normally he doesn't like them.

He was doing great, just yesterday we were holding him and he acted normal. He's really skiddish and always scurries away when we enter the room, but this morning I noticed he didn't. So I went to check on him and he just sits really still. His eyes were really gunky, and when I cleaned them up I noticed his eyeballs look really dry. He seems really bloated as well. He won't eat or drink anything and hasn't all day. I tried to give water and vitamins in a dropper and he won't swallow. He seems to be getting worse, and really weak. He toppled onto his side earlier and just kicked his legs but couldn't get back up.

Our only after hours clinic won't look at guinea pigs. And we have no more around here. I don't know what to do. What could be wrong? :/

I'm sorry he is so poorly but he really does need to see a vet, we are not able to diagnose over the internet. It sounds to me like an upper respiratory infection and the bloat could be a side effect of him not eating. What time is it there now? is there a vet open now that will see him?

It sounds like he needs to see the vet once they open this morning. It's impossible to say over the internet, but gunky eyes may be a sing of an upper respiratory infection, which can be serious in guinea pigs. Not eating is also a serious sign. If he has pulled through the night okay, I would have him at the vet first thing in the morning!

It sounds like he needs to see the vet once they open this morning. It's impossible to say over the internet, but gunky eyes may be a sing of an upper respiratory infection, which can be serious in guinea pigs. Not eating is also a serious sign. If he has pulled through the night okay, I would have him at the vet first thing in the morning!
About 5 minutes after I posted this thread last night I called all over the area and finally found an emergency vet 2 hours away. I rushed as fast as I could, but he didn't make it. :/ He passed when we were 20 minutes away from the vet. I don't understand. He deteriorated so quickly, he was doing perfect the day before.

I'm so sorry. Respiratory infections can strike out of the blue and kill very quickly.

I am very sorry for your loss. You did what you could. So sorry that it wasn't to be. Illness in guinea pigs can strike very quickly; piggies are also very good at hiding any subtle signs until it is too late. :(

You are welcome to post a tribute in our Rainbow Bridge section if and whenever it feels right for you.

Awww... I'm so sorry for your loss. Unfortunately, illness can strike guinea pigs really quickly and, as prey animals, they often don't act sick until they are really sick. ((HUGS)) to you. I'm so sorry.

I'm so sorry for your loss. You did everything you could so please don't blame yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back