• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Guinea Pig Seizures

harpurreidr19

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I have a 3 year old guinea pig who is always extremely happy and squeaky. Today I checked on his food and water when I got home from work and I noticed that he had not eaten or drank anything. He was still moving around and being normal. A couple of hours later I checked on him and he was having a seizure. His head was down in his bedding and he was twitching and rolling around. I picked him up out of his cage and put him down on a blanket on my bed. He tried to walk but he couldn’t. I tried to feed him while holding him but he wouldn’t eat. I gave him some water and he drank a little. I put him back in his cage after about 20 minutes. It has been 2 hours now and he still hasn’t moved at all. He is breathing very slowly and still won’t eat or drink. Has anyone had this experience?

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Please have your piggy seen by a vet ASAP
Step in and syringe feed either mushed pellets or a fibre recovery feed. Switch from the routine weekly weight checks to instead weighing him daily to ensure you get enough syringe feed into him.

The guides below offer further advice on bridging care while you wait to get to the vet

Emergency, Crisis and Bridging Care until a Vet Appointment
Not Eating, Weight Loss And The Importance Of Syringe Feeding Fibre
Complete Syringe Feeding Guide

I hope he is ok. Let us know how you get on at the vets

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Do still have him seen by a vet; and do still switch to weighing him daily for the short term so you can monitor him mor closely

Merab's Slave

Forum Buddy
Reaction score
I am so very sorry to read this.
You did the best thing in keeping him comfortable but it sounds as if nothing could have been done.
Be gentle with yourself as you grieve.
If you would like to post a tribute to him on the Rainbow Bridge thread you would be very welcome to do that.
You will find a lot of support here for you.

D

DM120421

i’m sorry for your loss, i bet you gave him a great life and he’s now also happy in piggy heaven

Freela

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I'm so sorry for your loss. I've seen similar symptoms (what looks like seizing/spasmodic movements, loss of balance, lying on their side) in pigs who were in the process of dying... it can be a more physical process than a lot of people realize. Many ((HUGS)) to you and so sorry.

RosieLily

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I'm really sorry you lost your little piggy. Sleep tight 🌈

VickiA

Staff member
Reaction score
I am so sorry that you’ve lost your piggy. What a shock for you. Go gently as you grieve.