Guinea Pig Shampoo For Mites

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maisy and Poppy

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
So a few weeks ago I took my piggies to the vets and they got a xeno spot on. Then we took them again because Maisy had like a reed spot on her ear. Apparently this was because of mites so the vet gave ten both an injection for mites. Last weekend we took them to the vets again because they where still scratching. They are still scratching non stop!
It seems cray to keep giving them injections and they cost £16! What should I do? Would special mites shampoo work?
Advice needed the sooner the better!
Thanks!:)

Can't help with mites, not experienced them myself but someone will be along to advise. Sending Poppy and Maisy healing vibes!

'Gorgeous Guineas' do a shampoo called 'Lice n Easy' which is very good. I am sure somebody on the health and illness section will be along soon to offer you their expertise. Try not to panic - mites can be defeated!

If it is mange mites the vet was correct in giving the injections and they usually need 3 rounds of injections too to clear it up properly. Shampoo will not treat mange mites.
Thanks, I am not sure what type of mites they are but mange mites may be a possibility!

Ask your vet what mites they believe them to be and if they say mange mites then your girls will need more injections.

Mites are very bad in Australia. And for some reason seem worse in summer.

Last year one of my guinea pigs had mites, the vet gave me chlorhexidine to bath her in which I diluted in water first. It definitely helped.

Also the vet recommended revolution which is what is used in dogs and cats. But for a guinea pig you only need a tiny amount she gave me the puppy one to use. I treat all my pets with revolution now to prevent any parasites.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back