• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Guinea pig showing worrying signs?

EJ Fairweather

New Born Pup
Reaction score
My piggy Merida is just over 2 months old. I got her very recently from PetsatHome (I know, but none of the rescues near me had cavies) and so far all her behaviour has been normal. This morning she seems strange and I’m pretty worried. She’s walking oddly and lying down in full view of me, and her head keeps dropping to the floor like it’s too heavy for her to carry. I’m sure there’s something wrong with her but I don’t know what! Help :(

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
If she seems unwell and unable to support her weight then you must get her to a vet straight away.

VickiA

Staff member
Reaction score
Please get an emergency vet appointment. I wouldn’t like to speculate what’s wrong.But the symptoms you’ve described warrant a same day emergency vet appointment.

Siikibam

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
All the best and let us know how you get on.

EJ Fairweather

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi everyone, went to the vets and all they could suggest was that she was stressed from being in a new environment with New Guinea pigs. They gave me some food to syringe feed her with, but I’m concerned that bothering her will do more harm than good. I know she needs some food coming through until she starts eating again, but I don’t want to terrify her when she’s already really nervous

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
How many other piggies does she live with?
How long have you had her?
What size cage?
Have you been weighing her, has she been losing weight? If she isn’t eating enough hay and is losing weight then syringe feeding her is essential

EJ Fairweather

New Born Pup
Reaction score
image.jpg
As you can see she has a large cage that she shares with three other guinea pigs, they’ve all been introduced to each other. I’ve only had her for about a week and a half. I’m going to have to syringe feed her to make sure her guy keeps moving, I’ll just have to be as quick as possible so she doesn’t get too stressed

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Are you weighing her?
Weigh her daily, at the same time each day, so you can monitor what is happening regarding her getting enough food

Roselina

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Yes get well soon Merida - syringe feeding is life saving if she’s not eating so hopefully that might encourage her to eat - good luck !