Guinea Pig Sick?

Fluffybutts

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I'm new here and joined so i can talk to other guinea pig owners as i love my guinea pigs dearly,

One of my guinea pigs i've noticed has been scratching heaps i spray mite spray on her but i doubt it's working she's also losing hair on her back and near her neck were i have noticed a cut i'm not sure how she got it and I'm super worried at this point i haven't had any problems with guinea pigs so far so i don't know what to do if she needs to go to the vet or i can buy something that will fix it up? Any help would be much appreiated ❤

Cavy Kung-Fu

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum!

Sorry to hear that you're having problems. My advice would be to never buy anything from a shop as they're often very low strength or can irritate things further.

Sounds like it could be mites so I'd definitely get to the vets as soon as you can. Has she got a friend? If so they'll need treatment too as it's highly contagious.

Hope she gets better soon! :)

Fluffybutts

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Mites? I usually use fleece in there cages how much does the vets usually charge? I have never needed to go to one before, Thank so much for your help and yes she has two daughters.

Cavy Kung-Fu

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
I use fleece too :) Usually my vet charges £35 for the consultation but it varies. I've been other places that are cheaper but they've been general vets with little knowledge of piggies so they're not worth it. I spent more there with wrong meds etc.

Ah lovely, yes her daughters will likely need treatment too once diagnosed. It could be ringworm but generally that stays in one area.

Don't worry it's nothing that you've done that causes mites, it's quite random and can happen to any piggy. Hopefully you can get on top of it soon and she gets better soon :)