• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Guinea Pig SOS Team

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

cavykind

Just wondered what everyone thinks of this idea, is it workable or just plain silly ::)

We've seen how (hopefully) people whether involved in rescue or simply passionate about guineas can work together to help animals at risk, ie being sold cheaply in the free ads.
Would it be possible via the site to collate names of people willing to collect/transport/overnight at risk guinea pigs? Of course volunteering wouldn't mean that you had to help everytime, just if you could.

There would be a few things to consider that spring to mind immediately, but just thought I'd run it by everyone first. Obviously it is ultimately up to the boards admin :)

* A couple of years ago I received a call from a woman in Leeds, wanted guineas out asap, had skin problems, a couple pregnant. A friend who lived about 10 miles North collected them for me, drove to Richmond in North Yorks and we met them there.

They were out of that horrible situation and receiving treatment within 24 hours of the call :)
I couldn't have travelled that far and would have had to pass them on to someone else :-\

Any thoughts?

Barbara

That sounds great! Couldnt help with transport but could have some staying over as a half way house. I am only just started driving lessons and dont think the gps would like me much!

There would be a fair bit to consider...

*If anyone saw, say a guinea "free to good home" it might be better not to publish link as casual site visitors, who may not have the best intention will be alerted to it.

* Nobody should collect a guinea pig without the promised back up of a rescue (there may be vet bills involved) unless of course they wish to take full responsibility.

Must be more, but need to take the dogs out and the idea is still "pie in the sky" :)

Barbara

I'd be more than willing to assist. I have posted this somewhere else I'm sure.... Petrol money & childcare permitting I am willing to drive or be used as a B&B.

Might be useul to have willing peoples phone numbers kept somewhere by Moderators maybe. Can then be accessed when needed. I have times when I don;t have a computer for sometimes weeks.

I would be happy to cover the Isle of wight and maybe portsmouth and southampton areas if room was needed ( meet some one at the ferry or fast cat terminals on mainland ).

I cant drive, or board animals (tiny flat), and live in Central London, but if someone can offer a resuce place, I can go and collect animals at risk on the tube and deliver them to a rescue to be cared for.

Its not a massive help, but if childcare is an issue for a resuce with space, then I can provide a halfway solution.

HI

I would certainly be interested in doing this - i can cover Merseyside and surrounding areas - if needed I can travel further afield as transport is readily available

GREAT IDEA

A nice positive response, could this be made a "sticky" by mods?

Barbara

I would be willing to cover newcastle upon tyne area. I've just looked at local free ad paper. 3 10 month old females free to good home. Guinea mum and 4 babies. 2 guineas no details. so there are lots out there. Only thing is what happens to them once I've collected them! I could keep them for a while but would they then go on to a local rescue or would i need to find them a new home? At the mo I've just 1 spare hutch but am getting a shed in the next couple of weeks and would be able to accomodate more.

linda.b said:
I would be willing to cover newcastle upon tyne area. I've just looked at local free ad paper. 3 10 month old females free to good home. Guinea mum and 4 babies. 2 guineas no details. so there are lots out there. Only thing is what happens to them once I've collected them! I could keep them for a while but would they then go on to a local rescue or would i need to find them a new home? At the mo I've just 1 spare hutch but am getting a shed in the next couple of weeks and would be able to accomodate more.

Hi,

I'm in Tyne and Wear too :)
I can take in limited numbers and carefully rehome, if you can pm me details I'll take a look.
Barbara

Billiesmum I can work with you, but I would be very wary of flooding already overstocked rescues, and at the risk of being unpopular and spoiling the party, would like to say that you can't save them all and you should be thinking of the ones you have. As long as rescues aren't asked about taking on extra after the pigs have been collected then hopefully they will be able to say 'no' if full...

One more thing to think about. ::)

:D I think it sounds like a great idea. I have a habit of accumulating unwanted animals anyway and I can never say no to helping any animal. I'd certainly help.

karenrgpr said:
Billiesmum I can work with you, but I would be very wary of flooding already overstocked rescues, and at the risk of being unpopular and spoiling the party, would like to say that you can't save them all and you should be thinking of the ones you have. As long as rescues aren't asked about taking on extra after the pigs have been collected then hopefully they will be able to say 'no' if full...

One more thing to think about. ::)

I have justs sent Linda a pm and said much the same, it's important not to take anything in that you need back up with before getting the ok from a local rescue. You can pick up one guinea pig then a vet visit later be £100 + out of pocket.

When it comes to all animal rescue work, I agree, you have to put your own animals, your partner (if you have one) and your sanity first...or you are on a very slippery slope :-\

It's great to have people willing to help in practical ways though and I'm happy to chat to anyone who think thay can help :)
Hope to hear from Linda soon!

Barbara

Barbara

I think I will find a map and colour in the areas people are situated and can help out - What do you think?

I am in Warwickshire, Midlands so I am pretty central so I can help with transport and over night stays for guinea pigs.

Barbara, have sent you an e-mail with the details of the piggies i saw advertised. Hope this helps. :)

linda.b said:
Barbara, have sent you an e-mail with the details of the piggies i saw advertised. Hope this helps. :)

Thank you Linda, have received it, will chase it up, if I can't do so tonight, I'll try again tomorrow morning. Will of course let you know what is happening.
Barbara

squeakypigs said:
I think I will find a map and colour in the areas people are situated and can help out - What do you think?

I think that would be a fabulous idea. People just doing what they can, if and when they can :)

Barbara

I will help in the Midlands and further afield within reason with pick ups etc.

I also foster and rehome pigs so space permitting I can have piggies for homing here. Always space for the odd overnight visitor too.

Also I have nursed a lot of v poorly piggies so I am willing to take in and get well at risk poorly pigs before they move on to already over stretched rescues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back