• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

guinea pig stomach rumbling

shaysbeautifulboys

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
is guinea pig stomach rumbling normal or something to be wary of? and i know this is a guinea pig website but what about hamsters stomach rumbling? iv heard my hamster making grumbling noises but she’s still acting normal i also think i may have heard one of my piggies make a similar sound to grumbling but their cages are somewhat close to each other so it may have been my hamster? what do u guys think?

No idea about hamsters but yes hearing gut sounds from a guinea pig is normal and what you want.
A silent gut and a piggy who isn’t eating is an unwell piggy

Last edited:
is guinea pig stomach rumbling normal or something to be wary of? and i know this is a guinea pig website but what about hamsters stomach rumbling? iv heard my hamster making grumbling noises but she’s still acting normal i also think i may have heard one of my piggies make a similar sound to grumbling but their cages are somewhat close to each other so it may have been my hamster? what do u guys think?

Hi!

Guinea pig guts should always make gurgling noises when you hold you ear against the belly. A silent gut is a life-threatening condition called GI or gut stasis (i.e. the gut has stopped working) - a piggy will go quickly very lethargic and off its food if that happens and you need to see a vet as a life or death emergency .

However, when the natural fermentation process in the gut goes into overdrive (dysbiosis = bad bacteria taking over) and you can hear the gut rumbling or hear (and smell) a piggy farting from a distance away, then you may want to take your piggy off any fresh food for a day in order to allow the gut to settle down again and avoid acute bloating.
Digestive Disorders: Diarrhea - Bloat - GI Stasis (No Gut Movement) And Not Eating

Too much fresh food and especially too much sugary foods like carrots, sweet corn and fruit can contribute to dysbiosis as the sugar encourages the wrong kind of bacteria to grow and take over. A grass hay and fresh grass based diet supplement by forage or that resemble forage and some high fluid content green veg that is closer to the natural diet guinea pigs have evolved on is best as it helps to avoid these problems and really add 1-2 year to the average life span of a guinea pig to take it from the lower end to the upper or beyond.
Long Term Balanced General And Special Needs Guinea Pig Diets

I hope that this helps you?

Hi!

Guinea pig guts should always make gurgling noises when you hold you ear against the belly. A silent gut is a life-threatening condition called GI or gut stasis (i.e. the gut has stopped working).

However, when the natural fermentation process goes into overdrive (dysbiosis = bad bacteria taking over) and you can hear the gut rumbling or hear (and smell) a piggy farting from a distance away, then you may want to take your piggy off any fresh food for a day in order to allow the gut to settle down again and avoid acute bloating.
Digestive Disorders: Diarrhea - Bloat - GI Stasis (No Gut Movement) And Not Eating

Too much fresh food and especially too much sugary foods like carrots, sweet corn and fruit can contribute to dysbiosis as the sugar encourages the wrong kind of bacteria to grow and take over. A grass hay and fresh grass based diet supplement by forage or that resemble forage and some high fluid content green veg that is closer to the natural diet guinea pigs have evolved on is best as it helps to avoid these problems and really add 1-2 year to the average life span of a guinea pig to take it from the lower end to the upper or beyond.
Long Term Balanced General And Special Needs Guinea Pig Diets

I hope that this helps you?
yes, that definitely helps me and i’m glad i learnt something new, it’s very interesting aswell! Thank you you’re great 👍

yes, that definitely helps me and i’m glad i learnt something new, it’s very interesting aswell! Thank you you’re great 👍

You can discover lots of interesting and some really amazing stuff when you have a browse of our wide ranging information collection that you access via the guides shortcut on the top bar. We have one of the most comprehensive information resources you can find anywhere.

Back