• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Guinea Pig Stroke.

Rodes

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hello, this is my first ever post. Yesterday I noticed my pig, Floki, looking odd. HIs head and eye on his left side. Now his head swings/tilts extremely to the left. Eyes are twitching.
I gave him some topical Vermectin a week ago and thought that may have caused it?

Anyway today has been bad. I tried to somehow get him to a vet. I am unemployed and unable to pay so - no treatment.
I have been getting him to drink water with electrolytes, rehydration treatment. I have also dissolved an Osteocare tablet in a small amount of water (Calcium, Magnesium) as I have read that this can be good for paralysis treatment.
Reading around online, I feel it's safe to say it's a good sign that he is walking, albeit strangely. He is eating solid food: Peppers (capsicum/bell peppers), cucumber, nuggets. (Anything).

I have brought him indoors and put him in a clean box and loads of hay, in my wardrobe so it's nice and dark.

Is thee anything else I could do to help him?

It could be e.cuniculi perhaps? It's a parasite that causes head tilts. That would need a wormer of some kind like Panacur. But it's best if you can try to find a vet that could offer a payment plan of some kind! Or, if you are in the UK contact the PDSA as they can help with vets bills for low income folks. Good luck x

Thanks for your reply. The tilt just seemed to come on instantly. His left eye is huge and dilated. I contacted the PDSA, but it's too far away and I am unable to travel there.

Thanks for your reply. The tilt just seemed to come on instantly. His left eye is huge and dilated. I contacted the PDSA, but it's too far away and I am unable to travel there.
I wonder if the PDSA could cover vet fees at your local vet? Worth an ask I guess! With the bulging eye this sounds really serious, perhaps there is an abscess of some kind or a tumour pushing out his eye. Could your local vet work out a payment plan? Xx

This does sounds an awful lot like how my Bramble went when she developed e.cuniculi, i'll pop a video of her when she was unwell down the bottom. If it is, you can get panacur online for less than a tenner but youll also likely need metacam to reduce inflammation to the brain as well as antibiotics just to rule out ear infection. Without treatment the chance of very severe neurological damage is pretty high, it took about 2 days for our vet to advise panacur and she still has a tilt and neuro damage, blindness in one side and she spent quite a while with very little nerve function on her upper left side, she couldnt blink or chew properly. Ultimately the vet said it was a miracle she survived so unfortunately this is something that really does need treating quickly.

Is this how your piggy is acting? This was after a couple of days treatment so this was actually an improvement..

Like, he is moving more than Bram there. Also, I have called a local vet and they won't help.
He wanders around a lot more than Bram, sniffing things. Did Bram' illness just snap suddenly into being?

Yes, it came out of nowhere, at the time her sister was needing syringe feeds every few hours, she went from perfectly normal to walking in circles with her head right over in the 3 hours it took for me to have a nap and mix up some more food for her sister. Usually its triggered by stress..Bramble hated having her hair cut and brushed which is what I believe set hers off, did anything stressful happen to him lately? A loud noise maybe..or new years fireworks.

If hes moving more, hopefully theres not been any neurological damage.

Oh also, if you only got him recently, where you got him from should cover vets bills. That being said, id had Bramble over a year by the time her illness appeared and I hounded pets at home, eventually they refunded all my vets costs. So if you bought him from a store, chances are you will be able to get them to pay for treatment.

Maybe there was fireworks? I really don't know. It was windy the night before I noticed him. His eye is wide open, almost as if it's startled. He is strangely acting normally though. He isn't moving as quickly as he was. But sometimes he will do a little cry when being handled and he continues to do so. He seemed to wander differently to normal though. Yet he was being inquisitive and sniffing around the room earlier, before hiding under a desk and sitting there like a fluff ball. He pushes away with his head a little. Munched through half a pepper last night. I have like £10 and I will order some Panacur now. Hopefully it will arrive quickly.

I did get him from pets at home. Well over a year but no receipt. If I had the money I'd pay. There's a vet a 15 second walk from my front door which is all the more painful and frustrating. I've had a huge row with family due to it, but I don't want to turn this post into an episode of eastenders.

I don't think you should be treating him on spec, he really needs to see a vet now :( It could be a reaction to the Ivermectin, you might have got the dose wrong :( Is there no friend or relative that would help you with the vet fees?
If you are a minor then it is your parents' responsibility & their duty of care to not let a pet suffer.

Nah my family wont help. ‘I bought him’ so it’s my problem. My family isn’t close. I’m not a minor either.

Have you had a word with the vets near you about payment plans? Some can be very accommodating in that regard..others unfortunately, less so. If it turns out to definitely be e.cuniculi, this is the fault of the breeder they came from and pets at home really do have to take responsibility for it and pay the vets fees, but youll need a diagnosis from a vet. I'm sorry you're dealing with this on top of money worries..it always seems to happen at the least practical time! Fingers crossed something comes up.

I asked the vets if I could pay at a later date, in 2 weeks time. They said no.

I've found this website which is really helpful:

Getting help with veterinary treatment when you can’t afford it | Pets4Homes

"Veterinary surgeons are obliged, as part of their RCVS registration and the pledges that they made upon training and qualifying to become a vet, to provide emergency treatment to a minimum level that will ease pain and suffering. This may mean administering treatment to a very basic level for a short period until an alternative can be decided upon, or by euthanizing a seriously injured animal that is suffering without respite. You should always be upfront and honest with your veterinary surgeon about your ability to pay for your pet’s treatment. Veterinary surgeons are animal lovers, but they are not charities, and they are only obliged to provide basic, short-term care for a suffering pet, not to bankroll ongoing treatments"
Thats on the site too, so basically by law they have to provide basic treatment to prevent suffering!

I am in the uK. I have said a few times now that the vet said no, I cannot book him in without paying.

But you could ring them back and explain the above! It's gotta be worth a try or try another vet!
It looks like Blue Cross and RSPCA do a similar thing to PDSA as well, maybe they can help?

I am in the uK. I have said a few times now that the vet said no, I cannot book him in without paying.

I wouldn't waste money on Panacur as you don't know strength, dose and length of course. He has other symptoms,too.
He's obviously in pain.
Rspca offer discounted treatment for eligible patients,too.

Guys I have around 85p and 2 weeks to go until I get any other form of money. Discounted or not I am not eligible when I have no means of travel or part payment. I have e-mailed local vets begging for help and payment plans.

Back