• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Guinea pig troubles.

Hailey Louise

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi.
I'm new here so if this is the wrong place to post this please let me know.

I have 4 guinea pigs and I am having major issues with 2 of them.
It seems like my 6 month old is bullying my 9 month old. It looks like the baby is resourse guarding the food and toys even When I have enough in the cage. I have mulitiples of everything. Nugget (the Baby) has also launched himself at Zeus, after which he was seperated for a while. I now have Isolated Nugget again from the rest as he wont stop teeth chattering and nipping. He has also been ripping hair off Zues. No blood has been draw, but I don't want it to get that far. They have also had minor scuffles.

If anyone can help it would be much appriciated.

I’m afraid that the chances of a boar quartet making it through the teenage months (4-14 months of age) intact is highly unlikely. I would separate into pairs that you think will get along the best. You also need to make sure that they have enough space. Boars are more territorial and need more space. We recommend 180x60cm cage (2x5 c&c).

The top pig has pick of hides and everything else, and you have to respect that hierarchy by dealing with the top pig first.

I’m afraid that the chances of a boar quartet making it through the teenage months (4-14 months of age) intact is highly unlikely. I would separate into pairs that you think will get along the best. You also need to make sure that they have enough space. Boars are more territorial and need more space. We recommend 180x60cm cage (2x5 c&c).

The top pig has pick of hides and everything else, and you have to respect that hierarchy by dealing with the top pig first.

Hi there.
Thanks for the reply.
I actually have a 2x5 c&c cage.
He also only has problems with that one piggie.
Some days are okay, but more often than not there seems to be problems.

That’s nowhere near big enough for four boars. They need at least 1 square metre each. But as said four boars together during the teenage months (and even after) is a hard balance so I would look to split them very soon.

That’s nowhere near big enough for four boars. They need at least 1 square metre each. But as said four boars together during the teenage months (and even after) is a hard balance so I would look to split them very soon.

I am looking into adding on to the cage, but will be unable to do so until after Christmas. This was only temporary.

You need to split your boys into two pairs. I won’t advise keeping them together - it’s a hard balancing act with them. Of course it’s up to you what you do.

Once split you could put in a stacked 2x5.

You need to split your boys into two pairs. I won’t advise keeping them together - it’s a hard balancing act with them. Of course it’s up to you what you do.

Once split you could put in a stacked 2x5.

I will be splitting them up as soon as possible. After the 14 month stage I might try the bonding process again. If that doesn’t work they will probably need to be rehomed.

You’d be better off leaving them in their bonded pairs. If they don’t like each other it’s not likely to change. Trying for all four could, in worst case scenario, end with four singles. Why are you unable to have two pairs in a stacked cage? Or why do you want all four bonded? In any case a 2x5 isn’t big enough for four. My pigs moved outside recently but were in a stacked cage. Boars at the top and sows in the bottom section.

You’d be better off leaving them in their bonded pairs. If they don’t like each other it’s not likely to change. Trying for all four could, in worst case scenario, end with four singles. Why are you unable to have two pairs in a stacked cage? Or why do you want all four bonded? In any case a 2x5 isn’t big enough for four. My pigs moved outside recently but were in a stacked cage. Boars at the top and sows in the bottom section.

I recently had to downsize my home so it’s not possible to have multiple cages so it would be easier to just have them all bonded. I can’t house mine outside because I live in Ireland. The climate is too cold for them. Even in summer. Like I said, there is plans to add on to the cage we already have. It just won’t happen this side of Christmas.

So can you not stack the cages? If it’s a c&c it’s easily done.

Good luck with you’re plans but do consider what is best for your boys.

I agree with everything siikibam has said. A 2x5 is only big enough for two boars but four boars together is highly unlikely to ever work no matter how much space you give them as they find it hard to function as a quartet and it’s one of the hardest combinations to ever get right. ( As a minimum four need a cage covering four square metres so that’ll be something like a 10x3 C&c at the smallest (quick calculation in my head) to give them enough space though.)
If they can’t get on now, they won’t get on after their teens - they won’t suddenly like each other.
Stacking two 2x5 c&c cages on top of each other and splitting the piggies up into two pairs (finding the ones who get on best) is the best solution. I see you’ve split one off by himself. Unfortunately the others left as a trio has just as much chance of failing, as boar trios don’t tend to work out either (aside from the fact that a 2x5 C&c isn’t big enough for three either).

A Comprehensive Guide to Guinea Pig Boars
Adding More Guinea Pigs Or Merging Pairs – What Works And What Not?
Boars: Teenage, Bullying, Fighting, Fall-outs And What Next?

Last edited:
I agree with everything siikibam has said. A 2x5 is only big enough for two boars but four boars together is highly unlikely to ever work no matter how much space you give them as they find it hard to function as a quartet and it’s one of the hardest combinations to ever get right. ( As a minimum four need a cage covering four square metres so that’ll be something like a 10x3 C&c at the smallest (quick calculation in my head) to give them enough space though.)
If they can’t get on now, they won’t get on after their teens - they won’t suddenly like each other.
Stacking two 2x5 c&c cages on top of each other and splitting the piggies up into two pairs (finding the ones who get on best) is the best solution. I see you’ve split one off by himself. Unfortunately the others left as a trio has just as much chance of failing, as boar trios don’t tend to work out either (aside from the fact that a 2x5 C&c isn’t big enough for three either).

A Comprehensive Guide to Guinea Pig Boars
Adding More Guinea Pigs Or Merging Pairs – What Works And What Not?
Boars: Teenage, Bullying, Fighting, Fall-outs And What Next?

Well no, because like I said in one of my first replies the trio are getting along fine. It’s just that one piggie I’m having issues with and he only has issues with the one piggie as well and also like I said, I’m adding on to the cage. It just can’t be done until after Christmas.

They’re in their teenage months. It’s up to you whether you want to try keeping them together. But make sure you have a plan B. Did you adopt them all together? Is the single boar in a cage next to them? He still needs that interaction.

You do need to be aware that the overwhelming majority of boar trios do not make it out of their teens as a functioning trio, even if they initially appear to be ok together. Fights occur or an outsider situation arises and one constantly gets left out meaning separations are required in more cases than not. Yours were right in their teens, one right at the start. There is the odd occasion when a boar trio does work but they are the exception rather than the rule. Hopefully yours will continue to be ok and can find a way of forming a good hierarchy, but sadly the odds aren’t in their favour and preparations for that are wise but hopefully not needed.

They’re in their teenage months. It’s up to you whether you want to try keeping them together. But make sure you have a plan B. Did you adopt them all together? Is the single boar in a cage next to them? He still needs that interaction.
No, I got them as bonded pairs on 2 separate occasions. I’m keeping the trio together at the moment as there’s absolutely no problems, but as soon as anything happens they will be separated and to ensure the isolated one doesn’t get depressed or anything I have them out for a few hours a day for floor time all together.

No, I got them as bonded pairs on 2 separate occasions. I’m keeping the trio together at the moment as there’s absolutely no problems, but as soon as anything happens they will be separated and to ensure the isolated one doesn’t get depressed or anything I have them out for a few hours a day for floor time all together.

once separated they can never have floor time together. This is not how piggies function. If they cannot be part of a bond, then putting them together will put them under a lot of stress and risk of problems for all piggies bonds. Interaction though the bars is as good as it will get for them once bonds have broken down
doing this could result in fights between all four and then ending up with four single piggies.
two separate bonded pairs of boars shouldn’t be bonded together. This isn’t how boars function unfortunately.

You do need to be aware that the overwhelming majority of boar trios do not make it out of their teens as a functioning trio, even if they initially appear to be ok together. Fights occur or an outsider situation arises and one constantly gets left out meaning separations are required in more cases than not. Yours were right in their teens, one right at the start. There is the odd occasion when a boar trio does work but they are the exception rather than the rule. Hopefully yours will continue to be ok and can find a way of forming a good hierarchy, but sadly the odds aren’t in their favour and preparations for that are wise but hopefully not needed.
One does get left out, one of my oldest ones Zeus and it’s because of what’s happening with Nugget. I know that things can go wrong so they are watched every second of the day. I even have a camera facing their cage that I can access through my phone so if anything does happen they can be separated immediately. If they can’t all get along unfortunately they will need to be rehomed as I do not have the space for more than one cage so I’m hoping these are an exception, but I will always do what’s right for them. If I can’t give them what they need I’ll be making sure they go to a better home.

Back