• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Guinea pig walks?

FalieH033

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hello! I need some answers on something. So I know this is a UK guinea pig forum, but me...I am in America! I love this forum and it’s amazing. I have an indoor male guinea pig. Sadly, there is no exotic vet nor groomer around me. I have a male crescent guinea pig named G, his nails are getting a bit long. Not long to the point of where they really need cutting, but they are getting longer. I found this cute guinea pig best for walks. I was wondering if I would be able to take him for little walks on the road to let the ground file down his nails naturally. Would I be able to do that? Or would it be unsafe? I want to know before I do it.

It depends on if you are intending to put him on a leash or let him just walk free... Either way I wouldn’t really advise it

Leads or leashes are too rough on them because they have very delicate backs, and to let him run/walk on his own would be quite risky especially if there are cats, roads, bushes or trees nearby.

I wouldn't take your piggy for walks along the road cos he could run off and putting a harness and lead on a piggie is a definite no no.

Isn’t there a thing thing about nail clipping?

Is it actually safe to clip them at home then?

Smokey and Bacon’s nails need cut soon, I was just going to do them at home though

It is safe to do it at home. You need pet nail clippers. Then just take the very ends off until you get confident about cutting more off. You need to be careful of the quick and that you don't cut it. If you are nervous the vet will show you how to hold your piggy and how much to take off. It may be a good idea to have a vet show you first of all.

The use of harnesses and leashes on piggies is extremely dangerous due to their fragile spines. Please do not even think about using one.
Piggies claws grow continuously and need clipping about every 4 - 6 weeks. Please read this guide Guide to Cutting Guinea Pig Nails
If you don’t want to do the nail clipping yourself then a vet nurse can do this for you.

Hello! I need some answers on something. So I know this is a UK guinea pig forum, but me...I am in America! I love this forum and it’s amazing. I have an indoor male guinea pig. Sadly, there is no exotic vet nor groomer around me. I have a male crescent guinea pig named G, his nails are getting a bit long. Not long to the point of where they really need cutting, but they are getting longer. I found this cute guinea pig best for walks. I was wondering if I would be able to take him for little walks on the road to let the ground file down his nails naturally. Would I be able to do that? Or would it be unsafe? I want to know before I do it.
I’m in America too.

I wouldn’t recommend it. If it was recommended, we might see guinea pigs on walks more often! Besides, there are outdoor cats and people walking dogs and bikes and cars... and the collar or harness could injure them too.

Does your pig have a companion?

A fragile prey animal on a lead . I would be terrified. Definitly dont buy a lead, its cruel. Let your guinea pig run around your living room. Just watch out for Electrical wires and stairs.🤔

It is safe to do it at home. You need pet nail clippers. Then just take the very ends off until you get confident about cutting more off. You need to be careful of the quick and that you don't cut it. If you are nervous the vet will show you how to hold your piggy and how much to take off. It may be a good idea to have a vet show you first of all.
I bought nail clippers thinking I'd do it at home then tried 1 foot of 1 piggy and decided its worth the 5x £8 vet nurse charge :) I wouldnt be taking piggies for walks though unless I could magically make them the size of capybaras at which point I would love to let them run in the park and swim in the duck pond. But until the unicorns grant that wish I think they are better off exercising at home in a big cage and playpen where they are safe...

Clipping their nails is pretty simple, unless your piggies are wrigglers. If they are you could get someone else to hold them, or wrap them in a towel. Be prepared that they may show their annoyance by being 'off' with you for a few days though.
As far as walking on hard surface, I have occasionally put a run out in my back garden, which has slabs. To be fair, you'd need to do it a lot to keep their nails down, and that may be sore on their feet.

Just repeating what others have said, please do not take your piggy for a walk in an open space, and never consider using a lead or harness... in terms of clipping at home, I have always clipped my piggies nails myself, and by now I find it pretty easy, but it's just about practice...

Here is a useful link on information about clipping piggies nails if you did want to do this at home Guinea Lynx :: Nail Clipping

Does your pig have black or white nails? White nails are much easier to see there quick, and therefore minimise the risk of cutting too far back and making your pig bleed... i would just suggest taking a small amount off once or twice a week and the blood supply/quick will recede as the nail shortens. Hope this helps 😊

My guine
I’m in America too.

I wouldn’t recommend it. If it was recommended, we might see guinea pigs on walks more often! Besides, there are outdoor cats and people walking dogs and bikes and cars... and the collar or harness could injure them too.

Does your pig have a companion?
My guinea does not have a companion and loves it. Never shows any sign of loneliness. I have a large clear field area that I would let him on. But everyone’s recommend not to.

My guine

My guinea does not have a companion and loves it. Never shows any sign of loneliness. I have a large clear field area that I would let him on. But everyone’s recommend not to.
Unless the field area is secure and has a shelter I defo wouldn't recommend, there's been lots of upset people about recently who have let their guineas run in a non fenced area and then lost them! You could make large run with loads of play pen panels and cover the top of it with a few old towels though so she'd be safe 🙂 I would certainly recommend a friend though, it's amazing how much they truly shine and come alive with a friend of their own to talk and play with!

Back