• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Guinea pig with inoperable breast lump

Orinoco

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi
I am looking for advice from anyone with experience in guinea pig wound care.
I have a guinea pig that has a large lump (tumour) on her breast/ nipple area. It is unknown if it is cancerous or a fatty benign lump but she is very well in herself with no other signs of illness or weight loss etc. Unfortunately when she went to have this lump removed it was felt it was inoperable as it was too close to her back leg and there is not enough skin to cover the wound post removal. So although she went under GA it was agreed a breaking down wound would be worse for her.
The main problem is that her lump drags underneath her and is getting “sore”.
I am keen to avoid her skin breaking down and am looking for advice on any creams or dressings anyone has used on Guinea pigs ?
I am a nurse so am well educated on human skin care but just wondered if anyone has ever had this situation and found anything helped ? Pearl is a otherwise well guinea pig with no other concerns.
Thank you very much

I don’t have any advice for you but I’m sure someone will come along soon who has. I have a piggie with a lump in the same area I’m getting checked out on Monday - hopefully it’s nothing sinister. I will be interested in any answers you receive. Hope you get some answers soon.

Sorry your girl is lumbered with this thing! Unfortunately we can’t advise you regarding skin creams - we don’t recommend home treatments on here.

The lump sounds to be quite large if it’s dragging when she walks. Did they no do a biopsy or anything like that? Seems leaving her with it and it chafing when she walks could be a problem in itself. But then they say the placement is difficult. Is it near nerves or similar? And is it free moving or seems to be fixed to something inside?

I hope you get some answers soon with regards ongoing care.

Please can you add your location (country or county/state). We have members from all over the world so tailoring advice makes it easier when we know where you are.

Back