• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Guinea Pig With Pus Discharge From Ears!

Status
Not open for further replies.
One thing I forgot to ask is about the pus discharge from the ear, should I be removing it with buds and apply prescribed ointment or should I leave it as it is and keep applying ointment.

Thanks! Appreciate your help and support!

One thing I forgot to ask is about the pus discharge from the ear, should I be removing it with buds and apply prescribed ointment or should I leave it as it is and keep applying ointment.

Thanks! Appreciate your help and support!

Very gently lift any pus without going into the ears or applying pressure on them.

The poor gal now closed its left eye and not opening, what's wrong here, please look into the pics enclosed other eye is open but half...What should I do, yesterday it was alright !

Thanks in advance!

1497152178593542335580.jpg

Can Genteal eye drops be used which is enclosed here?

1497153518148-437772431.jpg

14971535659891509436509.jpg

I found another thing, while pooping it has some glue like substance any idea what this is ?

Thanks in advance!

14971558171331001371097.jpg

I took her to vet and he gave me digyton 0.5ml before food morning, afternoon and evening. Then Ocilac eye drops twice 1drop both eyes and the last one petcam a painkiller 5drops morning and evening. And I was shocked when he asked me to stop antibiotics for few days to settle it's stomach... please advice on the above...Now the eye is open and it has ulcer in the middle of the eye.

Thanks in advance!

1497160522441245221223.jpg

1497160579856-1170839169.jpg

14971606365971911321374.jpg

1497160696552-1963858567.jpg

1497160727318-154020428.jpg

Her closed eye suggests that she is in pain, which has been confirmed by the eye ulcer. It could all be related to the infection so I would be very reluctant to stop the antibiotics. Any break could allow the infection to take hold again. The Petcam will help with any pain.

The glue substance on the poop suggests that she is having digestive issues which could be caused by the antibiotics. Is she having any probiotics after the medicine?

How is her weight? Is she still eating okay and the usual amount? The glue can alsi happen when they aren't eating enough, so not producing much poop.

@Jaycey she isn't eating anything ...I m force feeding her weight loss continues when weighed today she is around 330 gms which means 100gm of weight loss compared to 440 gms before 3-4days...the vet prescribed Digyton.I am keeping it hyderared gave around 3ml of water.

Thanks in advance!

1497168968414-1507749425.jpg

14971690029231604538369.jpg

Sorry about the probiotics am using Becelac Fortz 50mg Lactic Acid Bacillus Fortified with vitamins capsules before an hour of antibiotics..

1497169792007283520763.jpg

Okay, the glue like substance will be because she doesn't have enough food travelling through her system. You need to increase the amount you are feeding her. It can be tough but pigs need to have a constant amount of food travelling througb their systems at all times.

@Jaycey Sure, thank you, just gave her antibiotics ...my intuition says stopping it won't help...I will try my best to feed atleast 15 ml of food entire day . Hope this will help ! Moreover sometimes she just keeps the food inside her mouth..and doesn't swallow

I think it needs upping, it doesn't seem enough. Do you feed her through the night. If you get loads inside her It will help her fight the infection.
Is this a savvy vet

The recommended amount of Oxbow Critical Care is 6g of dry food per 100g of guinea pig.

About 20g of dry food mixed with 5ml of water is a good consistency but you can add more water if you need to.

If the pig is struggling to eat the food or is taking it very slowly it can feel like a full time job.

Like TiaMolly mentions you need to feed around the clock, even during the night.

15ml per feeding session is good, but sometimes it's only possible to get 5ml into them.

Try to increase the feeding as much as you can.

@Tiamolly123 @Jaycey Thank you and I'll surely up the feeding, but please know that oxbow is not available..here...so I am grinding the regular grass with cucumber and making it into fine paste and feeding...if you guys can suggest me some homemade formula's that I can prepare will be amazing.

Thanks in advance!

@Jaycey she isn't eating anything ...I m force feeding her weight loss continues when weighed today she is around 330 gms which means 100gm of weight loss compared to 440 gms before 3-4days...the vet prescribed Digyton.I am keeping it hyderared gave around 3ml of water.

Thanks in advance!

View attachment 64911

View attachment 64912

Please step in with syringe feeding and watering ASAP! You can use mushed up pellets in an emergency. The goo is usually a sign of dehydration; she's likely not drunk or eaten much at all in the last 24 hours.
Feed often, as much as she will take, every two hours round the clock at first to get the guts going again. Always weigh an ill guinea daily at the same time instead of the usual weekly, and step in with syringe feeding as soon as an ill guinea pig loses more than 50g. Don't give her more than 0.3-0.5 ml at once (i.e. one mouthful) to prevent things from going down the wrong way. Prep the syringe tip as shown in the guide in order to let the fibre come through.
Complete Syringe Feeding Guide

Add pedialyte (US) or dioralyte (UK) to the water to help with the rehydration.
Complete Syringe Feeding Guide

DO NOT STOP THE ANTIBIOTIC!

@Wiebke thank you ..now after feeding it has started to poop normally, but I must say the change in poop showed up after I gave her 3ml of water...I will give her feeding u. Every hour so that she can also have rest and relax in between....I am not going anywhere, leaving my gal until it starts eating on its own....

I am really thankful to everyone for taking sometime and for sharing valuable information in supporting my gal...!

1497178364403-186043997.jpg

@Wiebke thank you ..now after feeding it has started to poop normally, but I must say the change in poop showed up after I gave her 3ml of water...I will give her feeding you. Every hour so that she can also have rest and relax in between....I am not going anywhere, leaving my gal until it starts eating on its own....

I am really thankful to everyone for taking sometime and for sharing valuable information in supporting my gal...!

View attachment 64921

I am glad that the poos are looking much better and healthier again. offer her as much water and fibrous syringe feed as she will take. You can get the amounts/frequency of feeding for the different stages of recovery from the syringe feeding guide. Otherwise, please hang in there and you can hopefully see her through this.

With great pain I would like to inform everyone that my Guinea pig passed away, thanks everyone for any the love, care and support shown to cutie pie whom I can never see....R.I.P....Today how much she loved ...Me till her last breath she cuddled me up and then silently passed away

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back