• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Guinea Pig Won't Graze?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guinea_Lover

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have 2 sows, when I put them out in their run on the grass one of them happily eats but the other one just sits there. She will only eat the grass if I cut it and hand it to her but she won't actually graze? It's like as if she's petrified the way she sits there. She happily eats grass in her hutch, again if I cut it and give her the cuttings. The other guinea pig is fine and eating the grass. Any ideas what this could be?

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have 2 sows, when I put them out in their run on the grass one of them happily eats but the other one just sits there. She will only eat the grass if I cut it and hand it to her but she won't actually graze? It's like as if she's petrified the way she sits there. She happily eats grass in her hutch, again if I cut it and give her the cuttings. The other guinea pig is fine and eating the grass. Any ideas what this could be?
Your second girl feels very exposed and frightened. Please provide lots of hideys and stools etc. she can hide underneath and also cover the run with a blanket for added security. Guinea pigs are prey animals that have evolved in the cover of high grass; the instinct that they are vulnerable in open places is still wired deeply into many of them.
here are more tips: https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/threads/feeding-grass-and-preparing-your-piggies-for-lawn-time.111844/

Guinea_Lover

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Your second girl feels very exposed and frightened. Please provide lots of hideys and stools etc. she can hide underneath and also cover the run with a blanket for added security. Guinea pigs are prey animals that have evolved in the cover of high grass; the instinct that they are vulnerable in open places is still wired deeply into many of them.
here are more tips: https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/threads/feeding-grass-and-preparing-your-piggies-for-lawn-time.111844/
I think you could be right, put a few hideys in and she's fine now, still stopping to look around but atleast she's having some grass this time :) thank you x

BossHogg

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Once they get a taste for it, you can't stop them, take a look at my avatar! :))

neuroticmum

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
My young boar Stan is the same, he's only 8 months old and has only been out on the grass a handful of times but so far he seems to have a quick nibble then retreat to the hidey and stay there!
I'm sure he'll get more confident but it'll take some time, his older friend Clive on the other hand just sits munching away and isn't phased by anything!

Status
Not open for further replies.