Guinea pigs always laying down and inactive.

Ilovemyguineapigs21

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi! I have 3 female guinea pigs that are 2, 5, and 6 months old and I’ve noticed that they are not active at all and always spend their time laying down. The only time they ran around and popcorned was when I set up a new fleece liner and other than that, they’re very inactive. I tried taking out their hidey but still, theyd just go to a different place and lay down there. They eat normally, they drink and are quite fatty. Any idea why? Pls help idk if I should be worried.

Attachments

PoppyFloss

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi! I have 3 female guinea pigs that are 2, 5, and 6 months old and I’ve noticed that they are not active at all and always spend their time laying down. The only time they ran around and popcorned was when I set up a new fleece liner and other than that, they’re very inactive. I tried taking out their hidey but still, theyd just go to a different place and lay down there. They eat normally, they drink and are quite fatty. Any idea why? Pls help idk if I should be worried.
It sounds like your pigs are lethargic, and you should take your guinea pigs to the vet for a full checkup. Your guinea pigs might have a slow metabolism, be dangerously overweight or have some other underlying health condition that's contributing to their lack of energy and their resulting lethargy.
Do you give your guinea pigs lots of floor time? They may need more space to run around, or they could be overweight. It is hard to say an estimate of what a guinea pigs weight should be, as all guinea pigs are different, but the way to check if they are overweight is: feel along their sides. You should be able to just about feel their ribs, but with no protruding.
Also, you should have at least one hidey per pig or they may fight over it.

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
I take out their fleece hideys (leaving the wooden and cardboard tunnels in) if my two are just lazing around and it does get them moving and exploring more but they also need something to do to be active - Do you give them any enrichment - Enrichment Ideas for Guinea Pigs

Do they get time out of their cage? Floor time indoors, or outside in a run?

PoppyFloss

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
What is their diet? A guinea pig should have a table spoon of nuggets per day (about 10 - 12 nuggets), 10 - 15 % of veggies, unlimited, fresh hay (80 %), fresh, unlimited water and you could give them treats (check the packet for how often to give these. I usually give my pigs treats 2 or 3 times a week.)
Try getting them exercise toys (NOT exercise balls, these could seriously damage their spines.)

Siikibam

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
You say they’re fat, how much do they weigh? And what is their heft like?

Ilovemyguineapigs21

New Born Pup
Reaction score
What is their diet? A guinea pig should have a table spoon of nuggets per day (about 10 - 12 nuggets), 10 - 15 % of veggies, unlimited, fresh hay (80 %), fresh, unlimited water and you could give them treats (check the packet for how often to give these. I usually give my pigs treats 2 or 3 times a week.)
Try getting them exercise toys (NOT exercise balls, these could seriously damage their spines.)
Pellets, timothy and orchard grass hay of course at all times, at noon they all get a piece of cucumber, and at night they get veggies which I try my best to give different varieties everyday, but I always give them bell peppers, little bit of carrot, cucumber, romaine lettuce, and parsley. And they have a chew toy but its almost finished. And what do you mean by nuggets? thanks

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Pellets, timothy and orchard grass hay of course at all times, at noon they all get a piece of cucumber, and at night they get veggies which I try my best to give different varieties everyday, but I always give them bell peppers, little bit of carrot, cucumber, romaine lettuce, and parsley. And they have a chew toy but its almost finished. And what do you mean by nuggets? thanks
Nuggets is just another word for pellets. They should only have one tablespoon of pellets per day and then remove the bowl and don’t let them have anymore pellets until the next day

Carrot is too sugary to be fed daily and parsley is too high in calcium to be fed daily. These items should only be fed once per week.

And to confirm, are they 2 months, 5 months and 6 months of age?
What are all their weights?

Ilovemyguineapigs21

New Born Pup
Reaction score
It sounds like your pigs are lethargic, and you should take your guinea pigs to the vet for a full checkup. Your guinea pigs might have a slow metabolism, be dangerously overweight or have some other underlying health condition that's contributing to their lack of energy and their resulting lethargy.
Do you give your guinea pigs lots of floor time? They may need more space to run around, or they could be overweight. It is hard to say an estimate of what a guinea pigs weight should be, as all guinea pigs are different, but the way to check if they are overweight is: feel along their sides. You should be able to just about feel their ribs, but with no protruding.
Also, you should have at least one hidey per pig or they may fight over it.
Thanks for the info Ill definitely take them to the vet. My guinea pigs' cage is a 3 by 7 c & c so they have lots of space to run around on but I rarely give floor time which I should. And sorry for the misconception but they arent fatty they're 550 grams. And yes they all have their own houses.

Ilovemyguineapigs21

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Nuggets is just another word for pellets. They should only have one tablespoon of pellets per day and then remove the bowl and don’t let them have anymore pellets until the next day

Carrot is too sugary to be fed daily and parsley is too high in calcium to be fed daily. These items should only be fed once per week.

And to confirm, are they 2 months, 5 months and 6 months of age?
What are all their weights?
Oh no really? that means I've been giving them a little bit too much pellets so ok Ill change that. Yes they are.
2 months: 520 grams
5 months: 550 grams
6 months: 550 grams as well

Ilovemyguineapigs21

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I take out their fleece hideys (leaving the wooden and cardboard tunnels in) if my two are just lazing around and it does get them moving and exploring more but they also need something to do to be active - Do you give them any enrichment - Enrichment Ideas for Guinea Pigs

Do they get time out of their cage? Floor time indoors, or outside in a run?
Alright and they have 2 tunnels but thats about it, Ill look into the Enrichment Ideas for Guinea Pigs forum.

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Oh no really? that means I've been giving them a little bit too much pellets so ok Ill change that. Yes they are.
2 months: 520 grams
5 months: 550 grams
6 months: 550 grams as well
Hay is the only food they should have constantly. Veg can be one cupful per day, pellets one tablespoon per day (per pig)

Below is the feeding guide. Do give it a read

Long Term Balanced General And Special Needs Guinea Pig Diets

I am very surprised that a two month old and six month old weigh both the same. Check their heft by seeing if you can feel their ribs.
Weight - Monitoring and Management

Ilovemyguineapigs21

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Oh so about that, for the last 2 weeks my guinea pigs didnt like the pellets I gave them and didnt eat any which is why the older guinea pigs are similar in weighht as the young one because I recently just got the young one and since she had pellets from the breeder which is why shes fattier than the older in comparison to age and weight. But just recently it's all sorted now, each of my guinea pigs have a pellet preference and they are all safe pellets. And ill check on that.

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Oh so about that, for the last 2 weeks my guinea pigs didnt like the pellets I gave them and didnt eat any which is why the older guinea pigs are similar in weighht as the young one because I recently just got the young one and since she had pellets from the breeder which is why shes fattier than the older in comparison to age and weight. But just recently it's all sorted now, each of my guinea pigs have a pellet preference and they are all safe pellets. And ill check on that.
No That’s not why - if a piggy is losing weight it’s because they are not eating enough hay. Not eating pellets for two weeks would not have an effect so great because they should just be eating the hay instead and therefore maintaining their weight on that. Pellets should never be the reason piggies gain weight. Pellets are merely a snack and should never make up more than 5% of their daily food intake. If your piggy has lost weight then it’s potentially a medical matter and/or they’ve only ever been eating pellets too much and never eaten enough hay

What did the older piggy weigh (before not eating pellets)?

Last edited:

Ilovemyguineapigs21

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Are you sure? I read online that pellets are the main source of protein and its what gives them fat but before she was around 545 grams and shhe only gained a little after eating pellets but its no big drop in weight or anything like that before eating pellets. Then I really dont know why she lost a little weight after not having pellets.

Ilovemyguineapigs21

New Born Pup
Reaction score
No That’s not why - if a piggy is losing weight it’s because they are not eating enough hay. Not eating pellets for two weeks would not have an effect so great because they should just be eating the hay instead and therefore maintaining their weight on that. Pellets should never be the reason piggies gain weight. Pellets are merely a snack and should never make up more than 5% of their daily food intake. If your piggy has lost weight then it’s potentially a medical matter and/or they’ve only ever been eating pellets too much and never eaten enough hay

What did the older piggy weigh (before not eating pellets)?
Also can I ask what is the healthy weight for guinea pigs? (female, ages of 2, 5, and 6 months)

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Are you sure? I read online that pellets are the main source of protein and its what gives them fat but before she was around 545 grams and shhe only gained a little after eating pellets but its no big drop in weight or anything like that before eating pellets. Then I really dont know why she lost a little weight after not having pellets.
Absolutely certain. Pellets are not healthy and must never be the main food source - hay is always the main food source. If a piggy loses weight it’s because they aren’t eating enough hay.

80% of the daily food intake is hay
50g of veg which accounts for about 15% of the daily food infake
1 tablespoon of pellets (which is around 10 individual pellets, or about 6g) amounting to just 5% of the daily food intake

Pellets (if overfed) and unfiltered drinking water are a major source of calcium which if fed in too large a quantity can lead to bladder problems.

Please read the feeing guide I linked in above.

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Also can I ask what is the healthy weight for guinea pigs? (female, ages of 2, 5, and 6 months)
There is no set weight as such as they all gain weight in their own time if fed a healthy hay based diet. I would not expect a two month old and six month old to weigh the same though - something isn’t quite right somewhere.

How much hay do you feed them?

Last edited: