• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Guinea pigs and flies - need advice asap

Status
Not open for further replies.

MPG

Reaction score
Hey, some of you might know about the problem i was having re space for my trio. I had no money but needed to sort something bigger and bringing them indoors wasnt an option. I ended up doing this...

23012011709.jpg

23012011701.jpg

23012011705.jpg

It now has a rain cover and they are kept mostly dry, even in bad rain. Problem I'm having now is flies, they arent a problem in the run part but ive never had such a big problem with them in the actual hutch! I clean them out every week, but i cant do it any more frequently than that because the hutch is so heavy and its pretty aukward cleaning out a hutch in 2ft of space!

I have a huge old wooden box, i was thinking about turning it upside down and cutting a hole in for them to go in for shelter. Its lighter and easier to pick up so if i need to clean out more than once a week, its much quicker and easier to do. Do you think this is suitable? I'm worried about them being too cold :?

My mum might be taking the box to work though so if i cant use it, will they be ok with a carrier with a waterproof sheet over the top and packed with hay and a snuggle safe? It will be placed in the sheltered part of the run too. I really dont know what to do until ive saved for my shed. :?:(

ETA: If i have to use a carrier it will be wrapped in a blanket and a the water proof sheet before being filled with bedding and packed with hay.

I'm waiting for the run to dry, so i need to make a decision pretty quickly. x

What about those sticky fly catchers what you pin to the wood.
I've bought some from pound world (8 rolls) and pined 2 inside my shed as I've noticed loads of flies around (even though I remove any left over fruit/veg) and it's working great :).

What about those sticky fly catchers what you pin to the wood.
I've bought some from pound world (8 rolls) and pined 2 inside my shed as I've noticed loads of flies around (even though I remove any left over fruit/veg) and it's working great :).

I really dont think it will be effective enough as i cant hang them in the cage because they will hang too low.

I dont know what to do anymore :( Ive tried rehoming them because i just dont feel like i can care for them properly as things are. Its going to be months before i can get a shed sorted that the piggys and rabbits can go into. I cant afford alternative accomodation either unless they come indoors, but i dont have much room now and dad wont allow it. :(

I don't let the fly things hang loose as I was/am scared in case they fall in to the piggy pens and the pigs chew them, so what I do is use 3 drawing pins and pin them along a piece of wood.
Only 1 side is able to catch the flies but it's working for me so far.
I do hope you can find a solution x

Apparently you can hant mint leaves around to keep flies away.

I wouldn't think that the carrier would be great to be honest, though a large wooden box could work, depending on what it's made of and how thick it is and stuff (for warmth).

How about something like this?

http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/small_pets/hutches_cages/rabbit_hutches/outback_hutches/100178

It's a small house but big enough, as long as your trio would be happy to sleep near each other. It should fit in the run and should be warm enough, I have three of these to use in runs.

The only problem is, if it's cold and they have to stay inside, they won't have lots of space to be in. But the weather's getting better now so this would be suitable for using for the summer anyway, and flies are only really a problem when it's warm.

It's pretty light and easy to clean.

You can buy fly netting in the £ shop to cover the run, this would stop them getting into the hutch. :)

I have fly netting you can have. Just require postage and Packaging cost

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back