• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Guinea Pigs and Rabbits Living Together? - Your Thoughts...

Status
Not open for further replies.
kayjay said:
I always think it must be like putting one of us together in a cage with a chimpanzee as company. Yes, we're kind of similar, but we don't talk the same language, eat the same food or have the same habits. And we could easily be killed by a chimp or gorilla or something. If it were our only option we'd probably snuggle up together but can't say I'd fancy it

I thought we'd got onto the subjects of husbands for a minute there 2funny

Hee hee Bev.

Isn't it lovely when we all have a nice discussion rather than argueing?

Ive had exactly the same problem as Kelly this morning. I went round to friends for a cuppa and we got onto the discussion of pets, she has fish, hamsters, 3 dogs and up until last year had a rabbit and guinea pig. I explained that i love having the pigs in the house and she said she thought it was disgusting and that they belonged outside. Then i told her that actually rabbits and guinea pigs shouldnt really be kept together, and well, that was it, she proceeded to tell me that i didnt know what i was talking about as these were my first and only pets and what did i know.....well to cut a long story short, we had a bit of a row over it......thankfully we decided to agree to differ!

bev said:
kayjay said:
I always think it must be like putting one of us together in a cage with a chimpanzee as company. Yes, we're kind of similar, but we don't talk the same language, eat the same food or have the same habits. And we could easily be killed by a chimp or gorilla or something. If it were our only option we'd probably snuggle up together but can't say I'd fancy it

I thought we'd got onto the subjects of husbands for a minute there 2funny

2funny 2funny 2funny

amanda said:
Ive had exactly the same problem as Kelly this morning. I went round to friends for a cuppa and we got onto the discussion of pets, she has fish, hamsters, 3 dogs and up until last year had a rabbit and guinea pig. I explained that i love having the pigs in the house and she said she thought it was disgusting and that they belonged outside. Then i told her that actually rabbits and guinea pigs shouldnt really be kept together, and well, that was it, she proceeded to tell me that i didnt know what i was talking about as these were my first and only pets and what did i know.....well to cut a long story short, we had a bit of a row over it......thankfully we decided to agree to differ!

I have this problem trying to 'educate' other mums in our village that rabbits should be kept in two's, vaccinated and neutered. They all think I'm completely potty. And now I have 5 guinea pigs inside that's confirmed it for them - I say it's perfectly normal ;) :D

I would love to have mine inside, but my OH wont let me. :( Perhaps i should make him go outside instead, but then again he spends a lot of time in his 'workshop'(big shed) anyway. Hmmm, will have to think of a plan. ;D

This has been a great post with people opinions not arguements which is exactally what i wanted. 88)

Hi , Have to agree completly with beaney, , i too in the past have had buns n piggies paired up (brought to me that way) some times (through luck) it had worked , some times not , i think the biggest factor here is like someoneles said (sorry cant remeber who!) that not only isnt it bad for the piggie BUT it isnt good for the bun either , they really do 'bond' & if you watch some of my pairings & groups with buns they spend all day laying on top of each other & grooming each other ! My german lops are such cuddle monsters you can carry them around like a baby, but i'ld hate to put them with a piggie, they just dont interact the same, but i do get a bit cross when people make the bun out to be some sort of horrid monster , after all its not like THEY asked for the piggie to be in THERE cage/hutch ! ;)
& like kayjay ive spent ages 'educating' bun / piggie owners who really dont have a clue !
they think I'm nuts too...i probley am tho ;D

People tell me all the time that piggies and buns shouldn't be indoors but be kept in the garden because they smell. I tell them that they are my pets NOT garden ornaments and they only smell if the bedding isn't changed. I go on to say that even they would smell if they didn't change their bedding or clothes. So there!

I have a rabbit and guineas living together perfectly, and have been for alomst 4 years now. I don't see a problem when the bunny is gentle and a small breed.

Here they are:

ruby-tiaandguineasmall.jpg

What a lovely picture and a very wise looking bunny :)

While I say "no" to rabbits and guinea pigs together in principle and don't re-home to this situation. I am honest enough to say I have seen it work really well despite what we all (generally) say. My friend had a rabbit and guinea pig who lived together for years with no ill effect, the gunea was a very old lady when she succumbed to old age.
Not ideal, but there you go :)
It without doubt works sometimes...

Barbara :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back