• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

guinea pigs being a little greedy

chowderrocket

New Born Pup
Reaction score
hi everyone!
i Don’t have any friends that own piggies so I’m hoping you guys can help me a little! I’ve owned guineas in the past, but now I have 2 boys and it’s my first time having boys, so I’m not sure if it’s just a boy thing, but they will not stop squeaking for food. Everyone move I make they’re begginggg for me to give them veggies. I know they’re not hungry. They have plenty of hay, plenty of pellets and I give them veggies throughout the day. And these veggies are assorted so it’s not just one kind all day every day. But it’s like they’re asking for specific stuff honestly. They’ll scream (and I mean they’re screaming like they haven’t eaten in weeks), I’ll give them a few slices of carrots and they’ll sniff and ignore it but screech again when I go back to the kitchen (they’re content when they get lettuce, but I really don’t want to be pushed around by them haha).
Any advice? I don’t want them to be unhappy, but they are a little on the chunky side so I don’t want them unhealthy either.

They squeal at whoever they think will feed them. I feed my pair so they squeal at feeding time if they hear me. They dont squeal at my partner as he never feeds them. I'm sure someone will link it but there is a guide on here titled something like "who's the boss" that explains this better than me!

yes thank you so much! you’re totally right, I just gotta put the foot down a little and get them on a schedule!

Interestingly that wheek noise they make is something they only make at us humans. They must've learnt fast that we'd give them food for it!

My Nova screams the house down if it's getting on into the evening and she's still not had her veggies. Can hear her through 2 doors and down a flight of stairs. Big noise for her tiny body!

Hi! Welcome to the forum!

Guinea pigs are adorable, but very bossy. Mine love to wheek at me and my kids as we give them their food and treats, but no sounds for my husband.

Interestingly that wheek noise they make is something they only make at us humans. They must've learnt fast that we'd give them food for it!

My Nova screams the house down if it's getting on into the evening and she's still not had her veggies. Can hear her through 2 doors and down a flight of stairs. Big noise for her tiny body!
haha omg that’s too cute! And I love her name also
My two boys are so much different from having girls honestly. They’re surprisingly so much sassier than my girls were, and they’ll really chatter their teeth and squint their eyes if I give them the veggie they don’t want that day haha

haha omg that’s too cute! And I love her name also
My two boys are so much different from having girls honestly. They’re surprisingly so much sassier than my girls were, and they’ll really chatter their teeth and squint their eyes if I give them the veggie they don’t want that day haha
I have 2 girls Nova and Luna. They are very vocal but they're skinny pigs and are usually loud.

If I give them food they dont like they take it from my hand, throw it on the floor and come back to my hand for more 😂

What are yours called I love the names ppl give their piggies!

I have 2 girls Nova and Luna. They are very vocal but they're skinny pigs and are usually loud.

If I give them food they dont like they take it from my hand, throw it on the floor and come back to my hand for more 😂

What are yours called I love the names ppl give their piggies!
haha yeah mine do that too! and then I’m like omg where did you get all that power in such a small body.
Mine are named chowder and rocket! kinda silly names but they honestly fit their personalities well

You just have to be firm and not give them anything. Every time they squeak just make sure their hay is fresh and plentiful. That’s what makes up the biggest part of their diet. Veg is more a snack - 50g or a cup per pig per day - and pellets are only 5% (a tablespoon each).

I wouldn’t feed carrot too often. It’s high in sugar (along with fruits) so should be fed occasionally as a treat. Daily veg can be a lettuce leaf (not iceberg), cucumber, coriander and bell pepper.
New Owners' Most Helpful How-To Guides and Information

It is currently 11:40 am here.
Below I will list the reasons that Ruby has already shrieked at me today.

- I opened the back door
- I put a chopping board on the counter
- I opened the fridge
- I came over to her cage to check on her
- I sat down to eat breakfast
- I came upstairs after putting on a load of washing
- I put a plate in the sink
- I asked her what music she wanted to listen to
- I opened a cupboard

And so it goes.

Back