Guinea pigs burying under fleece

Reginart

New Born Pup
Reaction score
My guinea pigs like to bury under fleece so I got them a towel that I folded and clipped it to a c&c cage so they could go in and go under it. I also have a hay room so they could bury under hay but they still go under the fleece. I tried putting the fleece over the coroplast and clip it but it was hard for me to clean, is there another option for them to stop burying under the fleece?

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Not really, only clipping it on but they will usually try to find another way. Do they have snuggle sacks or fleecy tunnels they can have access to as they may like to burrow into those?

Siikibam

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Mine like to burrow so when I moved to the c&c I clipped it to the edge. Then they started burrowing under the bath mats 🙄 so I clipped a piece of fleece to one side of the cage and it hangs down to cover their pigloos or hay tray. Try something like that maybe. Or cover one part of the cage. But clipping is the first step so they can’t find a way to get underneath. Don’t leave any gaps!

Attachments

Reginart

New Born Pup
Reaction score
20200803_160400.jpg20200803_160349.jpg
I am not sure what you mean but these are what I put to make them not bury again. I think I need a bigger grass or hay room?

Siikibam

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
I’d say a lot more hay. They prefer piles, and there’s no way to get around wastage.
Are they not a sow and boar? Can’t remember sorry!

Reginart

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I’d say a lot more hay. They prefer piles, and there’s no way to get around wastage.
Are they not a sow and boar? Can’t remember sorry!
The male is already neutered now and I am trying to find a bigger place to put the hay or grass

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
The male is already neutered now and I am trying to find a bigger place to put the hay or grass
Is he six weeks past his neuter operation? If not, then he can’t be with a sow yet. Before six weeks post op they are still fertile.

I would just pile a lot more hay into those trays you have

Siikibam

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
:agr: Had you split them up because he wasn’t 6 weeks post neuter previously?

Ad&Syom

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Evo seems to have fun re-arranging the fleece and sleeping under it like a huge pink marshmallow. We're letting that creativity go... And make sure its hair stays clean, as the pig is now in direct contact with the absorbing towel. I was wondering if it had to do with higher temperature so the little devil got a shorter haircut too.

Siikibam

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Neutering doesn’t have anything to do with that. And are you sure it was actual fighting? And has it been 6 weeks since he was neutered now?

LittleLily

New Born Pup
Reaction score
If they have huge piles of hay they might go for that instead of the fleece. If you're worried about the hay getting everywhere (my three piggies are on a personal mission to cause as much hay spillage as possible) you could use a litter tray to keep the hay more enclosed.

Reginart

New Born Pup
Reaction score
y
Neutering doesn’t have anything to do with that. And are you sure it was actual fighting? And has it been 6 weeks since he was neutered now?
Yes I had make sure that it has been 6 weeks and I had watch them for 30 mins and check if there is bitemarks

Siikibam

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Did you put them on neutral ground or just joined the cages?

Reginart

New Born Pup
Reaction score
It's been a week and I keep checking on signs of injury and replaying cameras and it was all ok. They could smell and see each other because of the split cage method and they had not been showing any aggression and in the morning I found out that they somehow passthrough the cage bar and I found out that someone put them together and that they felt sorry because they hadn't meet each other for a long time ( he was already neutered by this time .) Then I watch them for 30mins check bitemarks and just check in with them a lot of times in the day and they were fine.

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
It's been a week and I keep checking on signs of injury and replaying cameras and it was all ok. They could smell and see each other because of the split cage method and they had not been showing any aggression and in the morning I found out that they somehow passthrough the cage bar and I found out that someone put them together and that they felt sorry because they hadn't meet each other for a long time ( he was already neutered by this time .) Then I watch them for 30mins check bitemarks and just check in with them a lot of times in the day and they were fine.
It sounds like they are ok.
That is of course not how a bonding should be done though - they should have been put in a neutral bonding pen for several hours before being moved to a thoroughly cleaned out cage - but it sounds as if so far, they’ve accepted each other.
As long as he was definitely six weeks post neuter when they got put together then it’ll be fine. If he was put in with her before he was six weeks post neuter then she will need to be on pregnancy watch

Reginart

New Born Pup
Reaction score
It sounds like they are ok.
That is of course not how a bonding should be done though - they should have been put in a neutral bonding pen for several hours before being moved to a thoroughly cleaned out cage - but it sounds as if so far, they’ve accepted each other.
As long as he was definitely six weeks post neuter when they got put together then it’ll be fine. If he was put in with her before he was six weeks post neuter then she will need to be on pregnancy watch
I am putting her on a pregnancy watch because the vet did not tell me to keep him away for 6 weeks. I have been giving her lots of vitamin C, check her weight and today I just touched her belly and I could feel something in one side and faintly something in the otherside.

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Oh dear, its unfortunate the vet didn’t give you correct information.
Don’t give ‘lots of vitamin c’. She only needs one extra of vit c rich veg in addition to what is the normal diet
Do you have a thread in the pregnancy section already so you can receive ongoing support? Have you read all the pregnancy guides?
https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/threads/pregnancy-and-nursing-diet.109377/

Reginart

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Oh dear, its unfortunate the vet didn’t give you correct information.
Don’t give ‘lots of vitamin c’. She only needs one extra of vit c rich veg in addition to what is the normal diet
Do you have a thread in the pregnancy section already so you can receive ongoing support? Have you read all the pregnancy guides?
https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/threads/pregnancy-and-nursing-diet.109377/
Yes I already have a thread in the pregnancy section and I am still reading some pregnancy guides