• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

guinea pigs coping outside?

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

lucyloo

ok so my mum has just announced to me tonight that when i get my guinea pigs they have to go outside because she said they will smell the house out if they are in my room even after me telling her they wouldnt :'( and it doesnt seem like there is anyway of me being able to convice her otherwise! i was just wondring will they be ok outside i know my rabbits are but there a bigger animal and have more fluff ;D do i have to do special things to protect them in winter and at night?

The guinea pigs wont smell if they are cleaned out regularly.

If they are going to be outside, they need PLENTY AND PLENTY OF HAY!! DAILY!

Can they atleast not go in a shed?

thats what i have told my mum but she wont believe me hopefully she will change her mind but i dont think she will :(! what sort of sheds can they be kept in i have seen ones made for rabbits but i would love to see pictures of how you can do them for guinea pigs?! how big does the shed have to be and were can you buy them from if there for guinea pigs?

My pig is in with the rabbit and thre is no problems at all

My 5 are outside and are fine. I suggest some tarp to go over the hutch so you can cover them at night and it offers water proof protection (as pretty much needed at the moment)

I top up the hay in their sleeping quarters daily and if its decent they are all out playing in a massive run with tubes, hidey holes and a massive piggy summer house!. They practically cut my grass for me and I can watch them for ages playing tag with each other or just popcorning like rodeo horses!

They will only be out till abou sept (depending on our crazy weather) then its into the garage with blankets over the hutch to keep warmth in. I would suggest a hutch huggie for insulation.

Hope this helps

mine are out in a hutch at the moment, but sometime during september they will be going in the shed for the winter, people do keep them out all year round but i wouldn't leave mine out, piggies are very sensitive to the cold (and heat) if you feel cold then so will they, they kinda like the same temperatures we do.
I'd have mine in the house if i had the space.
If they do stay out you need a sheltered spot away from draughts,lots of hay daily, blankets and a waterproof to cover for the night.

I think guinea pigs are very hardy little animals. I think they are fine outside as long as you give enough bedding and cover the hutch in adverse weather.

Yes I agree we have always kept our piggies outdoors, although they do live inside a brick shed with insultaed walls lol!

We have kept pigs in hutches though and our last 1 lived until 7 ;D

well we do have a shed that they can live inside, in a hutch so will ask my mum if thats ok if not I'm going to try asking her again if they can stay inside!

thanx everyone for reassuring me though that they will be ok O0 :)

Before I got my shed piggies were outside and they were fine. I covered them with tarp and secured it and made sure they had plenty of hay etc. I would recomend a shed but I think as long as you keep them warm in winter and cool in summer they should be fine also if the weather changes dramatically to take them indoors for a short time.

just out of interest where do you get this tarp from? a garden centre or something?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back