• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Guinea Pigs for Animal Assisted Therapy

Jessi88

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I read a research article recently about the effect that being used as a therapy animal has on guinea pigs. We often think about the benefits that guinea pigs provide to people, but do not consider the impact it has on the guinea pigs. The research study got me thinking about the use of guinea pigs in animal assisted therapy (AAT). It suggested that if they are used for AAT, they should have the ability to retreat when they want as opposed to being forced to sit in someone's lap.

After reading the article, I started to think more about how guinea pigs might be uncomfortable traveling around from person to person and that it might be stressful for them. I think that they might be more comfortable as emotional support animals (ESAs). That way they can connect with one person and develop a bond. I would think a guinea pig would be more comfortable in that type of arrangement.

There's a lot more to this but would take too long to post. I'm just curious what others here think about guinea pigs being used for animal assisted therapy.

I agree. My sister has started to work in a care home recently and asked if I would take Percy and Pepper along so the residents could pet them. I said no straight away. My boys would of hated it. They may have sat there but they would have been frozen in fear.

I read a research article recently about the effect that being used as a therapy animal has on guinea pigs. We often think about the benefits that guinea pigs provide to people, but do not consider the impact it has on the guinea pigs. The research study got me thinking about the use of guinea pigs in animal assisted therapy (AAT). It suggested that if they are used for AAT, they should have the ability to retreat when they want as opposed to being forced to sit in someone's lap.

After reading the article, I started to think more about how guinea pigs might be uncomfortable traveling around from person to person and that it might be stressful for them. I think that they might be more comfortable as emotional support animals (ESAs). That way they can connect with one person and develop a bond. I would think a guinea pig would be more comfortable in that type of arrangement.

There's a lot more to this but would take too long to post. I'm just curious what others here think about guinea pigs being used for animal assisted therapy.

Hi!

Guinea pigs are prey animals, so by far not all of them are suitable as the majority frankly just wants a quick cuddle and then be off in their normal territory doing piggy things. There is a huge difference between a piggy sitting still and letting themselves being cuddled and handled because they are in fear of their lives ('unresponsiveness' prey animal instinct when a predator plays with their prey and may hopefully lose interest) or the very few that realy enjoy being fussed over.

Like rabbits, guinea pigs are not necessarily the best species because of the stress factor on them, which some proponents of therapy piggies are clearly playing down. They are NOT naturally born animated cuddlers. The current mass production of pets at commercial or for sale backyard breeders has meant that more and more piggies are born to highly stressed out mothers and experience those high stress levels in the womb as their own 'normal' and their life-long default setting. The rise and increasing prevalence of some illnesses is now being linked more and more to these permanently high stress levels; not just in guinea pigs but also in other species. Being a placid piggy doesn't mean that they are relaxed.
Understanding Prey Animal Instincts, Guinea Pig Whispering and Cuddling Tips
Rescues (Adoption and Dating), Shops, Breeders or Online? - What to consider when getting guinea pigs

I would strongly recommend that you please read the link in the previous post cautiously if you are looking at it; we have experienced the poster as somebody on this forum who has been rather determined to fit the animal to the idea and not necessarily the concept to the animal from the start.
Anyway, I am coming very much from the other side, looking after piggies suffering from high stress levels and being traumatised by previous experiences. It can be very insidious and is not necessarily obvious; the telltale signs can be extremely subtle. The 'therapig' idea is currently very much in vogue; but like with all fads you need to be very careful that the individual animal is actually suited to go to a new location and interaction with lots of strangers. In the end, you are using an animal to give a human pleasure; it is not something the animal is seeking naturally and by their own instinct. You are looking ideally rather for human-orientated piggies.
Many good standard rescues won't for that reason rehome rescued piggies as therapy pets even if they are not traumatised and are coming from a loving home.
This short piece here that I have written for Guinea Pig Magazine a few years ago gives you an idea how things are looking from the guinea pig perspective. Arrival in a home from the perspective of pet shop guinea pigs

Finding the kind of outgoing personalities that enjoy human attention for a little while and that can cope well with new environments and being handled by strangers is not quite easy. They do exist but it is generally a fairly small minority of piggies. And there is a big difference between piggies naturally happy and piggies being trained to endure it.

Hi!

Guinea pigs are prey animals, so by far not all of them are suitable as the majority frankly just wants a quick cuddle and then be off in their normal territory doing piggy things. There is a huge difference between a piggy sitting still and letting themselves being cuddled and handled because they are in fear of their lives ('unresponsiveness' prey animal instinct when a predator plays with their prey and may hopefully lose interest) or the very few that like being fussed over.

Like rabbits, guinea pigs are not necessarily the best species because of the stress factor on them, which some proponents of therapy piggies are clearly playing down. They are NOT naturally born animated cuddlers. The current mass production of pets at commercial or for sale backyard breeders has meant that more and more piggies are born to highly stressed out mothers and experience those high stress levels in the womb as their own 'normal' and their life-long default setting. The rise and increasing prevalence of some illnesses is now being linked more and more to these permanently high stress levels; not just in guinea pigs but also in other species.
Understanding Prey Animal Instincts, Guinea Pig Whispering and Cuddling Tips
Rescues (Adoption and Dating), Shops, Breeders or Online? - What to consider when getting guinea pigs

I would strongly recommend that you please read the link in the previous post cautiously if you are looking at it; we have experienced the poster as somebody who has been determined to fit the animal to the idea and not necessarily the concept to the animal on thios forum.
I am coming very much from the other side, looking after piggies suffering from high stress and being traumatised by previous experiences. It can be very insidious and is not necessarily obvious. The 'therapig' idea is currently very much in vogue but like with all fads, you need to be very careful that the individual animal is actually suited to go to a new location and interact with lots of strangers. In the end, you are using an animal to give a human pleasure; it is not something the animal is seeking naturally and by their own instinct.
Many good standard rescues won't for that reason not rehome rescued piggies as therapy pets even if they are not traumatised and are coming from a loving home.
This short piece her that I have written for Guinea Pig Magazine a few years ago gives you an idea how things are looking from the guinea pig perspective. Arrival in a home from the perspective of pet shop guinea pigs

Finding the kind of outgoing personalities that enjoy human attention for a little while and that can cope well with new environments and being handled by strangers is not easy. They do exist but it is generally a fairly small minority of piggies. And there is a big difference between piggies naturally happy and piggies being trained to endure it.
Thank you! This is great information!

I owned many dogs over the years, and one of them was registered as a therapy dog and we regularly visited hospitals and residential care facilities.
It was an amazing experience, and I know that I, my dog, and the people he visited all benefitted enormously.

To qualify as a therapy dog I went to an information evening first, and then I had to take him to several assessments.
The first assessment simply consisted of me walking into someone's home (a trained therapy dog tester) and seeing if my dog would actively seek him out and accept attention, entirely on his own terms.
He had to approach this stranger and stand comfortably next to him without being demanding, and then willingly accept attention from him.
The first criteria was simply 'does this animal clearly want and enjoy attention from strangers'?

Apparently they turn down a huge number of animals, as it isn't fair to put them in a situation where they can't choose to be petted by multiple people.
Of course with dogs it can be downright dangerous as they can protest by running away or biting, but I don't think some smaller animals have any choice.
I would never suggest a smaller pet would be suitable for public service as a therapy animal.
My first question would always be when given a choice sides this animal seek out and enjoy the attention of strangers of their own free will.

Georgie (my qualified therapy dog) loved it - after he became qualified as a therapy dog my biggest challenge was getting him to walk past a queue at a bus stop. He truly thought hat everyone in the world loved him!

I worked as a trainer in a program for therapy dogs for a few years in my spare time. The dogs and their owners went through a training to enable the dogs to behave in a suitable way during their 'work sessions' and their owners to recognise subtile signs of stress. The training lasted up to a few months and I still wasn't always comfortable that all dogs were really cut out for this kind of work. But some dogs are born therapy dogs.

During this time I put a lot of training effort into my guinea pigs to find out if two or three of them were suitable as therapy animals. But it didn't work out.
If you are alert to signs of stress in guinea pigs, you can't put most piggies in a visting or therapy scenario. There may be few guinea pigs out there who are capable to tolerate it, but I really doubt that they enjoy it in a way a dog can enjoy this kind of work - but even with dogs you always have to keep an eye on the stress level.

As someone that works with disabled children I wish there was a way for small animals to be able to work as therapy animals as I know they could do so much good for the children but the reality is its not easy for Guinea pigs to make their feelings known and they're very delicate if they were dropped or handled roughly. I'm not sure that dogs are a good alternative as they give off a different sort of energy and being larger animals can be more intimidating for children with high levels of anxiety. I feel like rabbits or rats may be more suited to this roll as rabbit body language is a bit more obvious and rats appear more playful and outgoing but I've not owned either of these animals so I'm not sure.

As someone that works with disabled children I wish there was a way for small animals to be able to work as therapy animals as I know they could do so much good for the children but the reality is its not easy for Guinea pigs to make their feelings known and they're very delicate if they were dropped or handled roughly. I'm not sure that dogs are a good alternative as they give off a different sort of energy and being larger animals can be more intimidating for children with high levels of anxiety. I feel like rabbits or rats may be more suited to this roll as rabbit body language is a bit more obvious and rats appear more playful and outgoing but I've not owned either of these animals so I'm not sure.

Pet rats might be better, as rabbits are another highly stressed species when being handled by strangers; even more so than piggies.
But you may need to ask rat people for their experiences - of course, there are some considerable prejudices around rats to overcome...

Pet rats might be better, as rabbits are another highly stressed species when being handled by strangers; even more so than piggies.
But you may need to ask rat people for their experiences - of course, there are some considerable prejudices around rats to overcome...
I've known some quite outgoing rabbits that will initiate human interaction that's why I thought rabbits. But I guess it very much depends on the rabbits temperament

My guinea pig herds are prescribed as ESAs. Coming from that side, I would say their suitability depends a lot on what someone is hoping to get out of having an ESA, and that suitabilty is going to vary wildly from pig to pig.

I find it soothing/purposeful just doing the daily care tasks involved in having many pigs. The majority of my pigs are not what you'd call "cuddly." I do try to get them acclimated to basic handling, nail clipping, etc. but I don't push them beyond that if they're not inclined.

Out of 23 pigs, I would say 5 of them actually enjoy or seek out prolonged human snuggling. 3 are intensely shy and do not enjoy human handling at all. The remaining 15 could take it or leave it, they're fine with a quick cuddle but they'd probably rather be doing something else.

Getting a pair of pigs for emotional support would be a dice roll. If you got, say, pigs like Peach and Buttercup, you'd be out of luck - I don't think any amount of effort towards bonding would turn them into "people pigs." On the other hand, you might get one like Dandelion, my newest piggy who basically has the temperament of a small friendly dog. It would be hard to know what exactly you're getting until you were already committed.

I can't imagine the stress it would cause them to be therapy animals. Even the friendliest and most docile of them are a bit wary of strangers and very unhappy with unfamiliar or changing environments. They like their enclosures and they like their playpen, they know their travel cages, and that is it. I don't haul them around town except for necessary vet appointments.

I would agree that if one is looking for a small therapy animal (other than a tiny dog) a fancy rat is probably a better possibility. Always liked rats. If I wasn't buried up to the ears in guinea pigs I'd definitely look into getting rats. But I'm no rat expert, so definitely ask some rat people about it.

One of my current rabbits is very people orientated but he would still absolutely hate being in that kind of situation.
My female pair of rabbits would definitely be stressed by it

I've known some quite outgoing rabbits that will initiate human interaction that's why I thought rabbits. But I guess it very much depends on the rabbits temperament

That is why I am not saying that small pets are impossible as therapy pets; just that finding the right personality is crucial - and not quite easy.

I've met several ex-single piggies over the years who had lost the ability of identifying themselves as a guinea pig, were not at all interested in guinea pigs, totally relied on all day human interaction and stimulation and enjoyed having a fuss made over them and would very obviously lap it up.

There are also some very outgoing pigsonalities, like my Minx, who always caused a stir at the vet's when she sat on top of her little hut in the vet's waiting room staring down all the stressed out cats and who loved to have a cuddle and a play with me on my lap while waiting (provided there were no dogs in the room). Minx was not afraid of cats but she drew the line at dogs. She also liked travelling and was more like miniature dog than a piggy.

Hi! I live in a young adult care home with my own pet guinea pigs (set up in my bedroom) and I've been in hospital before where they have used Guinea pigs for pet therapy and can understand both sides of the argument.

There is no doubt that Guinea pigs are pigs are some of the best animals for providing comfort to people- my boys have got me l through a lot.

But, the most common way pet therapy is done is how a lot of people say- Group of people and guinea pigs are just passed round... I took part in pet therapy in hospital before I had my own Guinea Pigs and its only now I have my own that I've realized the Guinea Pigs didn't seem utterly happy. Whilst it could have just been their personality, they was no wheeking and many of the guinea pigs were quite still- sure they climbed up to my neck a bit but they just seemed a bit nervous. Not to mention, they would be put in cat carriers for the journey and whilst they weren't out or moved round different wards. There were also baby Guinea pigs (4 months to a year), and usually babies are energetic...

Compare this to my own Guinea pigs who wheek whenever I get them out and nuzzle into me. I also let other residents at my home (only the ones I know and trust) sit outside my bedroom and hold them and they still get happy and excited. But often people want to hold them constantly or want me to bring them down as I'm the only one with pets and whilst I can see how much my piggies cheer them up (theres even one girl who's my friend and I trust her and I will take the piggies to her bedroom when she seems down. And they love her) I have to say no a lot because I just don't want them getting annoyed with it even though they never had. At the same time though, this is my piggies and their personality and the whole time i've had them I've been in services so they're used to people- I can understand other piggies would't be happy with this.

1:1 pet therapy or even small groups (less than three people) done within the guinea pigs home and ONLY with people who know how to handle animals is probably a much better idea though with no other animals- I think this would have benefits for both the people and the piggies. Many piggies love interaction with people and in small groups where they can be themselves they would probably enjoy it! Especially since they arena having to travel! Also the therapy they provide will be much better as when they're comfortable they are very good at picking up when people are upset and their little noises make so many people happy! Having a scared guinea pig sit on your lap is not therapeutic...

Not to mention, in hospital it just wasn't fair on them (or a lot of the other animals)- not just because they're being passed around but because many times nurses would just let anyone hold them, even violent patients- there were times when I said to the animal people before the group "please don't let that person hold prey animals as they can be quite unpredictable" (the animal people didn't care) it wasn't that I thought these people would hurt the animals- it was more that they could make sudden unpredictable movements or be loud or if an animal pooped or peed on them they would grab it by its arms and hold it mid-air and freak out.

There was also a time where a staff member was responding to an incident and they had let an armadillo run around on the floor and it got jammed in the fire door and got injured- it was alive after but had been seriously injured.

I think the only animals really suitable for group therapy outside their home are horses (another team once brought a therapy pony in and that was fun), trained dogs and maybe some reptiles such as snakes. Also probably tarantulas as with being invertebrates they don't have the same panic response.

Hi! I live in a young adult care home with my own pet guinea pigs (set up in my bedroom) and I've been in hospital before where they have used Guinea pigs for pet therapy and can understand both sides of the argument.

There is no doubt that Guinea pigs are pigs are some of the best animals for providing comfort to people- my boys have got me l through a lot.

But, the most common way pet therapy is done is how a lot of people say- Group of people and guinea pigs are just passed round... I took part in pet therapy in hospital before I had my own Guinea Pigs and its only now I have my own that I've realized the Guinea Pigs didn't seem utterly happy. Whilst it could have just been their personality, they was no wheeking and many of the guinea pigs were quite still- sure they climbed up to my neck a bit but they just seemed a bit nervous. Not to mention, they would be put in cat carriers for the journey and whilst they weren't out or moved round different wards. There were also baby Guinea pigs (4 months to a year), and usually babies are energetic...

Compare this to my own Guinea pigs who wheek whenever I get them out and nuzzle into me. I also let other residents at my home (only the ones I know and trust) sit outside my bedroom and hold them and they still get happy and excited. But often people want to hold them constantly or want me to bring them down as I'm the only one with pets and whilst I can see how much my piggies cheer them up (theres even one girl who's my friend and I trust her and I will take the piggies to her bedroom when she seems down. And they love her) I have to say no a lot because I just don't want them getting annoyed with it even though they never had. At the same time though, this is my piggies and their personality and the whole time i've had them I've been in services so they're used to people- I can understand other piggies would't be happy with this.

1:1 pet therapy or even small groups (less than three people) done within the guinea pigs home and ONLY with people who know how to handle animals is probably a much better idea though with no other animals- I think this would have benefits for both the people and the piggies. Many piggies love interaction with people and in small groups where they can be themselves they would probably enjoy it! Especially since they arena having to travel! Also the therapy they provide will be much better as when they're comfortable they are very good at picking up when people are upset and their little noises make so many people happy! Having a scared guinea pig sit on your lap is not therapeutic...

Not to mention, in hospital it just wasn't fair on them (or a lot of the other animals)- not just because they're being passed around but because many times nurses would just let anyone hold them, even violent patients- there were times when I said to the animal people before the group "please don't let that person hold prey animals as they can be quite unpredictable" (the animal people didn't care) it wasn't that I thought these people would hurt the animals- it was more that they could make sudden unpredictable movements or be loud or if an animal pooped or peed on them they would grab it by its arms and hold it mid-air and freak out.

There was also a time where a staff member was responding to an incident and they had let an armadillo run around on the floor and it got jammed in the fire door and got injured- it was alive after but had been seriously injured.

I think the only animals really suitable for group therapy outside their home are horses (another team once brought a therapy pony in and that was fun), trained dogs and maybe some reptiles such as snakes. Also probably tarantulas as with being invertebrates they don't have the same panic response.
Most snakes (small snakes especially) have the same prey responses and I would never trust them with an unpredictable person. Tarantulas are very fragile and would not make good therapy animals as they can easily get hurt if they're dropped. My mum is a child minder and I've had young children visit our house to meet the animals. It's nice the piggies are happy as they get extra parsley and our snake doesn't seem to mind and he's a great ambassador for helping children who are weary of snakes realise they're not too bad. I've seen a lot about rabbits as therapy animals. They do have the same pray instincts as Guinea pigs but they're larger and a bit more able to stand up for themselves. I think with any animal it depends a lot on personality some dogs would make terrible therapy pets while some rabbits would be great.

Most snakes (small snakes especially) have the same prey responses and I would never trust them with an unpredictable person. Tarantulas are very fragile and would not make good therapy animals as they can easily get hurt if they're dropped. My mum is a child minder and I've had young children visit our house to meet the animals. It's nice the piggies are happy as they get extra parsley and our snake doesn't seem to mind and he's a great ambassador for helping children who are weary of snakes realise they're not too bad. I've seen a lot about rabbits as therapy animals. They do have the same pray instincts as Guinea pigs but they're larger and a bit more able to stand up for themselves. I think with any animal it depends a lot on personality some dogs would make terrible therapy pets while some rabbits would be great.

Back