Guinea pigs for sale in my local paper

Status
Not open for further replies.

woowoo30

Junior Guinea Pig
Joined
Aug 19, 2006
Messages
121
Reaction score
0
Points
0
In my local paper tonight is an advert for guinea pigs, it says guinea pigs, 4 babies 8 weeks and 1 male adult 6 months old, £1 each.

£1 EACH!! >:( they obviously want rid of them to sell them so cheap. Poor little things, i feel like buying them all and trying to re home them to people who will give them a lovely forever home! at £1 each I'm worried someone will have them for snake food :'(

Julie
 

kayjay

Adult Guinea Pig
Joined
Aug 9, 2006
Messages
1,153
Reaction score
0
Points
380
I would buy them if it were me and rehome them, that's awful >:( it seems worse than free to good homes somehow doesn't it?

No actually I wouldn't buy them I'd offer to take them for free, they don't seem to place any value on their lives do they so why not.

Although perhaps they think this way someone will give them a home as they're cheap without realising they might fall into the wrong hands, maybe an email or phone call to warn them and tell them about guinea pig rehome might be the best idea if you can't take them?
 
C

cavykind

woowoo30 said:
In my local paper tonight is an advert for guinea pigs, it says guinea pigs, 4 babies 8 weeks and 1 male adult 6 months old, £1 each.

£1 EACH!! >:( they obviously want rid of them to sell them so cheap. Poor little things, i feel like buying them all and trying to re home them to people who will give them a lovely forever home! at £1 each I'm worried someone will have them for snake food :'(

Julie
What area are you in?
I don't generally agree with buying guinea pigs as it simply encourages people to breed more.
However this doesn't sound like someone out to make a fast buck...or they would be asking more than that. We have a local breeder selling crossbred babies for £10.00.

If they were in my area, if I am honest, at a £1.00 I would be buying them and re-home.
I'm not suggesting you do this as it is a big undertaking and responsibility.
There maybe someone on here, near to you that is involved in rescue on some level and can help. Though at that price I have a horrible feeling that they will already have gone :(

Barbara
 

woowoo30

Junior Guinea Pig
Joined
Aug 19, 2006
Messages
121
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Thanks for your replies.

I'm torn really, i agree with what you say about it encouraging them to sell more, maybe if they are getting rid of the male as well it may of been an accidental litter.

Mary's rescue is very close to me, we live 5 mins away from each other, i know that she is full though so probably wont have room for them, however i have offered to be a fosterer for her when needed. I wouldn't take them without asking her first though and i'd need at least 2 cages, 1 for the girls and 1 for the boys which i dont have right now. Ohhhhh, i dont know what to do!

Julie
 

woowoo30

Junior Guinea Pig
Joined
Aug 19, 2006
Messages
121
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Sorry Barbara i forgot to say i'm in Leicester.

Julie
 

Niki

Senior Guinea Pig
Joined
Aug 10, 2006
Messages
9,370
Reaction score
13
Points
650
Location
Leeds, West Yorkshire
This is just like the woman i bought Ruben, Rye, their sister & her 3 babies from in Wakefield, who in her ad said she was "over-run" >:(
She sold me them for £1 each, not that she needed the money, she was very well off. She'll be at it again next year because she kept 2 boys & 2 girls & told me she would "probably let the children let them have a litter in spring" >:(
 
C

cavykind

Niki said:
This is just like the woman i bought Ruben, Rye, their sister & her 3 babies from in Wakefield, who in her ad said she was "over-run" >:(
She sold me them for £1 each, not that she needed the money, she was very well off. She'll be at it again next year because she kept 2 boys & 2 girls & told me she would "probably let the children let them have a litter in spring" >:(
It's a never ending story isn't it ::)
I don't think there is any right or wrong answer. We take them, they thing "Great that was easy to get rid of them" and they breed again :(
But if we don't step in (if we are able) who does and where do they end up?

Barbara
 

clowny

Teenage Guinea Pig
Joined
Nov 16, 2006
Messages
665
Reaction score
0
Points
125
Location
Derbyshire
If only I could help, but I have no spare hutches and I think my husband would leave home. Mmmmmm, now theres a thought!
 
C

cavykind

I'm too far away to be of any practical help. But if transport could be arrranged I could take a couple of babies or the boar.
Barbara
 
L

lilgalnatalie

how cheap? omg i'd have one i've been nagging my dad for more piggies for ages (i want a tribe) ummm now there a thought my dad darn it. he wont let me have them. but i live in cov which isnt to far from lecister and 1 quid! I spend more on food for them i bet they're all gone by now

thats a bargain poor piggies, there worth more than that. if only they knew they wouldnt be too pleased!

Any details on that add? i wouldnt mind taking one of the babies. or the male (if it was netured)
 

daftscotslass

Senior Guinea Pig
Joined
Oct 20, 2006
Messages
4,872
Reaction score
14
Points
0
Location
Stirlingshire, Scotland
lilgalnatalie said:
how cheap? omg i'd have one i've been nagging my dad for more piggies for ages (i want a tribe) ummm now there a thought my dad darn it. he wont let me have them. but i live in cov which isnt to far from lecister and 1 quid! I spend more on food for them i bet they're all gone by now

thats a bargain poor piggies, there worth more than that. if only they knew they wouldnt be too pleased!

Any details on that add? i wouldnt mind taking one of the babies. or the male (if it was netured)
I don't think it's so much about them being a bargain but it's clearly obvious that someone is just trying to get rid of them. I would try and get them for free and ensure that person doesn't get a penny.
 

woowoo30

Junior Guinea Pig
Joined
Aug 19, 2006
Messages
121
Reaction score
0
Points
0
I tried to ring about them tonight but there was no answer. I will try again in the morning and see if they still have any of them.

Julie
 
L

lizz79

I know ..like pringles once you pop(corn-ing) you cant stop! LOl
No seriously i think its just going to encourage that not thinking buying , kids nagging for a pet, dad picks up paper ...A £1 guinea pig babies, thatll shut the kids up. :'( really.
 
Joined
Jan 23, 2006
Messages
4,721
Reaction score
0
Points
0
thats exactly why I would grab the lot greedy mare that I am, still whats a few more I have 34 now and have 2 empty runs in the girls shed and 2 in the boys
 
Joined
Aug 30, 2006
Messages
1,458
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Leicester
woowoo30 said:
Thanks for your replies.

I'm torn really, i agree with what you say about it encouraging them to sell more, maybe if they are getting rid of the male as well it may of been an accidental litter.

Mary's rescue is very close to me, we live 5 mins away from each other, i know that she is full though so probably wont have room for them, however i have offered to be a fosterer for her when needed. I wouldn't take them without asking her first though and i'd need at least 2 cages, 1 for the girls and 1 for the boys which i dont have right now. Ohhhhh, i dont know what to do!

Julie
Have you rang them yet? Can you give me a bell and we might beable to sort some thing out, sorry didnt wright your number down!

Mary
 
Joined
Aug 30, 2006
Messages
1,458
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Leicester
Re: Guinea pigs for sale in my local paper UPDATE

All guinea pigs have been homed by a local park. I rang the man up and he had just left the park that is now their new home. I said to him I was worried that they would end up as food as he couldnt beilve that people do that! He had them for a pound as the paper wont let you put animals in for free. He knows of some one that has 3 female babies so I might end up getting a call. The reason why he sent them to this park is on the link below.

http://www.leics.police.uk/canyouhelp/appeals/1270_pets_stolen_from_abbey_park/

Mary
 
C

cavykind

Poor little mites ending up in some park enclosure or petting area...how horrible for them. No doubt they will end up being stolen too and be replaced just as easily :'(
We had one of these places in our local park years ago, someone broke in and massacred the bunnies and guins, think there were birds there too. It was front page news, I can still remember it. It was way before I was involved in rescue or I would have campaigned to have the area closed.

That has really upset me.

At least you tried Mary, we can't do more than that :-\

Barbara
 
Joined
Aug 30, 2006
Messages
1,458
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Leicester
Gutted as if I hadnt gone out last night for a meal I would of had them with me now! Being a bad girl as I shoudnt be taking any more in! The man said he didnt have one call regarding the guinea pigs.

Mary
 
C

cavykind

Mary said:
Gutted as if I hadnt gone out last night for a meal I would of had them with me now! Being a bad girl as I shoudnt be taking any more in! The man said he didnt have one call regarding the guinea pigs.

Mary
Don't ever blame yourself Mary for other peoples stupidity and lack of caring!

It might be worth you taking a look at this park though if you are near enough and trying to build up some contact with them? That way if you could do nothing more, you could keep an eye on things and advise about neutering, educate on care if needed etc.
If it is associated with the council, kick up a **** of a stink if you are concerned about wefare issues and they are ignored.

Barbara
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top