Guinea pigs inside or out

Newguinea83

New Born Pup
Reaction score
We are hoping to get a pair of Guinea pigs but I am really worried about attracting pests such as mice and rats to the house and/or them being got by foxes

Firstly would you say it's better to house them indoors or outdoors? We don't have a lot of space indoors but could find a spot for a medium size cage and then put them in a run outside a couple.of times a day.

Secondly does anyone have any further advice on avoiding pests for example are they better raised and should I get a certain type of enclosure?

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
If you are going to keep them outside then they need to be kept secure and at the comfortable temperatures (18-22 degrees)
Mine live in my shed which means they aren’t exposed to the cold weather, wind and rain but it does get hot in there in summer so they need to come out of the shed daily (and into the house if it is very hot weather).

If yours are going to live inside, then they can only go out into a garden run during the summer. Indoor piggies cannot be put outside from late autumn to spring time so you would need to be able to provide them with indoor exercise space. Equally, outdoor piggies cannot be brought indoors during the colder months (and if it does get too cold for them to be outside then they would need to come indoors and stay indoors for the rest of season). Piggies can not tolerate large temperature fluctuations - so you can’t bring outdoor piggies indoors during winter for play time and then put them back outside

A medium sized cage - that’s a difficult thing to gauge.
The minimum welfare cage size for two sows or a neutered boar/sow pair is a cage of 120cm x 60cm but bigger is better. Two Male piggies need a cage of 180cm x 60cm.

A lot of people who have piggies indoors use c&c cages as they provide more flexibility and are generally bigger. For two females or a neutered boar/sow pair then it is a 2x4 c&c cage, for two boars a 5x2 c&c cage. (The numbers relate to the number of grids not measurements )

Cage Size Guide

Siikibam

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
It depends what works for you. And also whether the rescue (I assume that’s where you’d get them) would allow you to adopt if you plan to house them outdoors.

When thinking about outside you have to think what you’ll do to keep them warm when it gets really cold. They need temps of around 15-23c. Would you be able to put their hutch in a shed and heat it? If not would you be able to bring them inside when it’s really cold?

Whatever you do you need to give them the minimum space they require - whether outside or in. And yes the hutch should preferably be raised off the ground - partly to stop the cold permeating from the bottom. You’d have to make the hutch very secure to stop foxes and rats etc getting in.

Roselina

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hello Newguinea83 - welcome ! It’s difficult ....I’ll tell of my experience . I had decided to house my two boars outside and bought a hutch etc before I got them. But once I got them I was worried about outside pests / cats etc - so I decided to have them as indoor guinea pigs. They have a playpen indoors and a run outdoors. I couldn’t afford to replace the hutch so they live in it indoors (at night) but spend the day in their playpen. I have found I have ‘ bonded ‘ with them much more than I think I would have if they were outside piggies. Also it’s easier to keep the temperature stable - I was very worried about hot /cold weather. So I’m very relaxed without those worries and we ‘ talk’ to each other all the time. In the future I will hope to get a c&c cage.
If you do house them outside make sure the wire is strong and the sections are no bigger than your thumb as rats can gnaw thru and are attracted to piggies. I would raise the hutch off the ground to stop any dampness and just regularly ‘poo pick’ to stop flies. There are great guides on this forum and I’m sure other members will give you their advice and experience. Exciting times ahead for you all !The pics are of the hutch and the playpen before it was used.
the c&c cages are best for indoors

Attachments

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
We are hoping to get a pair of Guinea pigs but I am really worried about attracting pests such as mice and rats to the house and/or them being got by foxes

Firstly would you say it's better to house them indoors or outdoors? We don't have a lot of space indoors but could find a spot for a medium size cage and then put them in a run outside a couple.of times a day.

Secondly does anyone have any further advice on avoiding pests for example are they better raised and should I get a certain type of enclosure?
How much are you willing to trudge out in the rain, ice and frost or boiling heat to feed and clean your piggies?
We generally find that you have more casual interaction with guinea pigs if they are indoors and have become members of your family. I know of many a pair that never moved back out after the first winter!

Please also keep in mind that it is generally easier to keep your piggies safe indoors than in the ever more instable and extreme climate.

Hot Weather Management, Heat Strokes and Fly Strike
Cold Weather Care For Guinea Pigs

Winniepeg

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I keep my four boys indoors . I live alone and much of my day is spent engaging with them or watching them do what piggies do 😁. I think it comes down to space and how much engagement time you wish to have with them. Whatever you decide the above advice about cage sizes and security outside are crucial to keep your piggies safe and happy. It’s great you’ve joined the forum to research these things. Good luck In whatever you decide and if you do get piggies pictures would be lovely 😊

Sweet Potato

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I have indoor piggies and I haven't experienced them attracting pests neither have I heard anyone talking about this happening to them. is this something that can happen? I would have thought that as mice and rats are omnivorous and don't eat hay they would be more attracted to human food in the house than piggie food.

Roselina

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
But rats will attack guinea pigs so it is extremely important that hutches are secure and maybe have a locked area( in the hutch ) as people do with chickens.