• You can find lots of information on how to settle in, understand your new guinea pigs in our New Owners Guide Collection but please ask any questions you have in Wannabe and New Owners' section.

Guinea pigs outdoor hutch

Sappyshelly

Junior Guinea Pig
Hey guys I wanna start looking into giving the pigs outdoor time. I need a covered pen/hutch that allows me to access my pigs anywhere from the cage. I need a covered hutch/pen since we have hawks in the area. Any ideas of one? Also can’t guinea pigs get flees? I’m not 100% sure if we will actually end up giving them outdoor time, but I will 100% probably either pick some grass or grow wheat grass.

G&C

Junior Guinea Pig
Hey guys I wanna start looking into giving the pigs outdoor time. I need a covered pen/hutch that allows me to access my pigs anywhere from the cage. I need a covered hutch/pen since we have hawks in the area. Any ideas of one? Also can’t guinea pigs get flees? I’m not 100% sure if we will actually end up giving them outdoor time, but I will 100% probably either pick some grass or grow wheat grass.
It’s starting to get a bit too cold now for outdoors time. Although today I had mine out in the run (it’s been 16’C all day) but any less than that or if it’s windy they don’t seem to enjoy it as much. They just hide in their little house together.

Sappyshelly

Junior Guinea Pig
It’s starting to get a bit too cold now for outdoors time. Although today I had mine out in the run (it’s been 16’C all day) but any less than that or if it’s windy they don’t seem to enjoy it as much. They just hide in their little house together.
I live in America and it’s been hot for the past few days

Bill & Ted

Adult Guinea Pig
Bill and Ted love to be outside on the grass, and they are a bit sulky if the weather is too bad to go out! They have to make do with large puppy pen in the conservatory, which they can have a good old run around in. May try their large outdoor hutch in summerhouse this winter with attached tunnel and run going outside, as it was quite cold which is unusual for Cornwall, we even got two days of snow!

Attachments

Seven7

Teenage Guinea Pig
My Finn and Lara's outdoor time consist of my rolling their cages to outside and leave them there for fresh morning air when the weather is nice. :D. They are indoor piggies. When the sun comes out, I put them back inside the house in their cages. They really like to see outside so I put them near the sliding glass door where they can view the outside and the sun.
If I decide to buy new cages for them, I will always need to buy ones with wheels because I move them around to different spots in the house for them to get different views. So far, their favorite view is outside.

G&C

Junior Guinea Pig
My Finn and Lara's outdoor time consist of my rolling their cages to outside and leave them there for fresh morning air when the weather is nice. :D. They are indoor piggies. When the sun comes out, I put them back inside the house in their cages. They really like to see outside so I put them near the sliding glass door where they can view the outside and the sun.
If I decide to buy new cages for them, I will always need to buy ones with wheels because I move them around to different spots in the house for them to get different views. So far, their favorite view is outside.
That’s interesting, how can you tell which is their favourite? Do they popcorn when you put them in certain spots :lol!:

Seven7

Teenage Guinea Pig
That’s interesting, how can you tell which is their favourite? Do they popcorn when you put them in certain spots :lol!:
I see them just wondering around their cages when I put them in the middle of the house and repeatedly yell for attention as though they are bored. They will also yell immediately after feeding time and I feed them 3 meals of veggies a day. I think they are super bored.

When I put them near the sliding glass door where there is light and view to the outside, they are super quiet, doze off or quietly mind their own business. I would also open the sliding glass door to let the air in, or to put them outside for fresh air. They are also quiet after their meals. I get a sense they are occupied with things going on outside.

This is my interpretation of whether they like something or not. If they want attention, it will get really loud but if they are busy, they are quiet.