Guinea pigs outside

Dorota

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hello

I'm trying to introduce outside garden to our two lovely pigies , they are in covered playpen , temp it's 17°C , they have water and shade , supply of food, plus fresh grass but I'm not sure they are enjoying it ! They seem just to hide in tunnel , they are eating a little bit of grass but they are not active at all , is that ok ?

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Hello

I'm trying to introduce outside garden to our two lovely pigies , they are in covered playpen , temp it's 17°C , they have water and shade , supply of food, plus fresh grass but I'm not sure they are enjoying it ! They seem just to hide in tunnel , they are eating a little bit of grass but they are not active at all , is that ok ?
Hi!

It can take time to get indoors guinea pigs to the frightening world outside with their confusing new sounds and their sensory overload. Give them time to get their bearings and learn to feel safe and happy out there. With very timid piggies it can take a whole summer, but they will remember from one year to the next, so you have to go through this process only once.

My oldies just start munching away as soon as they hit the grass... :D

Dorota

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Thank you for your reply as long it is normal to take some time that's ok just dont want them to miss all the fun being outside!

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you for your reply as long it is normal to take some time that's ok just dont want them to miss all the fun being outside!
The fun bit will come, I promise you! Just be patient and persist. The more often they are outside, the less frightening it will become and the more they are going to enjoy it.

Bill & Ted

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
From two dedicated lawn fans, Bill and Ted, “really piggies you will love it once you get used to the surroundings, strange breezes and birds”
567861AE-4B9E-4A3A-93A8-F6AA9F3B4074.jpeg

Betsy

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
When I put my lot out on the lawn for the first time they just hid. Then as they got braver they only hid to strange noises. It took them about 3 months to get used to being outside in the run. They are outside piggies and are used to hearing birdsong etc.

Last edited:

Dorota

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Thanks , you put my mind in rest , hope our cuties will be fine too soon to enjoy fresh grass

Swissgreys

Staff member
Reaction score
Your experience is pretty much exactly the same as mine!
I thought they would LOVE being outside and instead they didn't come out at all;
Grass Time - Or Not.......

But rest assured 3 years later and they all adore lawn time, so it does get better, it just takes time.