• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Guinea pigs paw

Abbyw

New Born Pup
Reaction score
noticed my guinea pig was not using his front paw, he’s still eating and drinking and going to the bathroom normally, I can also touch his paw and move it without him squeaking or moving or anything. so I’m not sure if that is just a sore on his foot or not

Attachments

• 920D285C-9EBD-4B17-B16E-538706A6AC5C.jpeg
    920D285C-9EBD-4B17-B16E-538706A6AC5C.jpeg
    55.2 KB · Views: 19
  • 7410DC60-412D-4E4A-8875-F200A0EDE5FA.jpeg
    7410DC60-412D-4E4A-8875-F200A0EDE5FA.jpeg
    52.7 KB · Views: 19
  • 159850BA-4F42-4670-92BD-E3F4E069B293.jpeg
    159850BA-4F42-4670-92BD-E3F4E069B293.jpeg
    44.7 KB · Views: 19
Refusal to weight bear on a paw would indicate pain, soreness or injury - please have your piggy seen by a vet.
It’s entirely normal for them as prey animals to hide their pain when touched but the fact you’ve seen him not wanting to walk properly means there is likely something wrong

It could be the start of bumble foot, which is an awful and painful infection of the paw. Once it takes a hold it can be very difficult to get rid of. I would get to a guinea savvy vet ASAP. I had an older lady with bumble foot and it was one of the worse things I have dealt with in Guineas.

noticed my guinea pig was not using his front paw, he’s still eating and drinking and going to the bathroom normally, I can also touch his paw and move it without him squeaking or moving or anything. so I’m not sure if that is just a sore on his foot or not

Hi!

Please see a vet; the red patch on the largest pad looks rather sore to me and may develop into an open sore infection (pododermatitis, better known as 'bumblefoot'). The sooner an antibiotic can be given, the easier it is to head off and save yourself a potentially longer running battle.

If a piggy is not putting weight on a foot, then it is because there is a pain problem. The dark brown bits are harmless dead skin spurs.
If you cannot detect anything wrong with the foot, then the problem is usually further up the leg. But in any case, it would be good to book a vet appointment.

Back