• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Guinea pigs = skint

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Well after reading on here about outside piggies I've been feeling more & more guilty everyday.
It's impossible for me to have them inside I really do not have the room so thanks to Mr Credit card (oh and my lovely older brothers) I have now purchased a big shed to sit at the bottom of my garden (where the piggies are now).
I know it's not the same as being inside BUT surely they'll be warmer and have tons more room (they'll be able to roam).
So after spending weeks and god knows how much ££££, I'm ripping it all up and the shed will be built and fully functioning by saturday teatime.
It's my christmas present to my piggies (well that's my way of justifying such a large amount spent on some wood).
On the plus side I can make it all girlie with pretty pink curtains etc so my little girl can go in there and watch them (at the mo it's hard for her to be outside with the cold cos of her dibilatating skin condition) so it'll be a place for her and the guinea pigs to bond and play together and hopefully I'll see a huge improvement in my little girl (guinea pigs are one of the only things that seem to make her smile at the mo) and I'll have lots of happy (warmer) little piggies.
Also I ordered it yesterday at 3.30pm and got a phone call this morning to say your shed's arriving tomorrow sometime.
Yeay happy people N piggies all round.

Thats great, mine used to be outdoors but in a shed and i used to have a heater on in there so it was always nice and snug.

But this year they weren't even in a shed! they were just outside facing the elements as the house where I live isnt mine

BUT
My new indoor cage has come today :)) according to parcelforce so when I get home I'm going to get it sorted and bring them in tonight! cant wait x)

I think they worth every penny, and what a fabulous idea! I'm sure both your piggies and daughter will be much happier! :) x

Oh it's not that I object to spending money on the guinea pigs (god my pets are truely pampered according to the bf) it's the price of shed's I object to, I never realised they were soooo expensive.
For what this has cost my brother didn't pay a lot more for his car lol but I kind of see it as a double investment:
1, new bigger, warmer, safer house for all the piggies
2, play shed and confidence booster for my little girl.

All of my guinea pigs absolutely love her, she seems to be able to calm them and they'll come and talk to her through the hutch front whereas I have to undo the hutch and take them out.
She seems to be her happiest when she's with animals.

OMG the shed delivery men have just turned up at 7.30 and i'm in my pjs, dressing gown and uggs....how embarrasing.
Had to lie about the dog being out and ran upastairs to throw some jeans and a top on over my pjs.
I hadn't even brushed my hair! they weren't supposed to turn up till after 9am...... typical!

Lol :) typical!

It sounds like a really great idea - after all you said you have no inside option.
I agree at the price of sheds - my God! I cant believe why they are so expensive?!
My ex partner rescued rabbits and guineas and had a shed built out back to house them (seperately) - just made sure they had masses of bedding material for a cosy night sleep..

Good luck!

mwahahaha, hilarious.... I had the Sainsbury's deivery man turn up once (had totally forgotten about him... bless) and went down only wrapped in a towel! the poor guy must have thought I was trying to come on to him or something... you know, those housewives get so bored during the day... Errrr I think not but I too was sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo embarrassed!

I see you've signed out and I guess you've already unpacked the shed onto the lawn and are now wondering why the heck you thought it was a good idea to do it yourself! Good luck and let us know how it progresses.

If you are going to have a heater in there, I thoroughly recommend oil-filled heaters. They are dear (£80 for a middle of the range) but their provide durable heat as they stay warm for a while after turning off, plus most of them come with a timer so you can set it up for certain times and not worry about havig to go turn if off, etc.

Hope your little girl likes it as much as you do...

lol yeah typical.
I signed off cos my little girl isn't well today and she needed me so there's no school:(, the shed came already unpacked and my fantastic older brother is building it up on his day off (saturday) bless him he's brilliant.
Not thought of an heater yet, I have no electric up there.

Sheds are ridiculously expensive, at least your getting good use out of it.

Just think of those people who spend a fortune on sheds just to put a lawn mower in it! :))

Lucky, lucky pigs! I'm sure they will appreciate it cos I think it's going to be a cold and long winter this year.

I think I must have way too much time on my hands (not really lol), I've been to town the morning and bought pink material and fleecy material to make double lined curtains for the shed windows, waterproof covering for the flooring, thick fleeces for the floor, more water bottles and food bowls and loads of fairy stuff for the walls (my daughter likes fairies & princesses hench the pink princess castle hutch and pink princess hutch cover).
I've also took the measurements and designed the inside of the hutch, although the shed pieces have only been on my garden 10 1/2 hours i'm now very impatient and want it up and running there's no way I can wait till Saturday so hopefully the shed fairies will come tonight and build it for me, but if they're anything like the ironing fairies I'll be waiting forever.
I've got so much I want to do to the shed and not enough time to do it over the weekend, I help my dissabled dad and my youngest has a party saturday afternoon and I've promised to take her to see the christmas lights being switched on in Chesterfield (although good thing about that is the local guinea pig & rabbit rescue is there doing some fund raising so I can go for a furry cuddle:))

I spent a small fortune on a shed, and the tiles to put in it! Oh and the shed light, insulation for the hutch etc i think it cost me around £350 for the shed and set up :0 Eik! Eeee our piggies are well loved and cared for :)) btw cant wait to see pigtures of your snazzy new shed!

I have a shed for my piggies and it cost a small fortune! Still not insulated it or decorated it in anyway as I was so unwell this year. Looking forward to getting i sorted next summer!

Woo woo My c & c cube thingys (lol) have arrived today (after hours of searching the net and telephone calls as everywhere locally have no stock or they've been discontinued) thank you wickes.
I think I may have purchased way to many packs cos I didn't realise they were so big so now I'm thinking I'm having a return trip to wickes (but at least I have found a new recruit for the forum, one of their workers is a big guinea pig fan and I've told her all about the local rescue which she didn't even know exsisted and now she's off to get some new piggies and she's gonna join on here and build a c&c cage).
I can't wait until tomorrow when the shed is up and the crew have a whole new set up they'll love it x)x).
And I've done a talk at school today about guinea pigs and all the kids loved it and the 5 g/p's that went in had a good time too, Even left some guinea pig rescue leaflets and cards.
I'm feeling quite happy today, hopefully by tomorrow night some pics will be on.

OMG how hard is it to build a shed lol.
My brother came round yesterday at 11am and we didn't stop till 5pm and even then it wasn't finished.
Some of the pieces were out by a mile so my brother has got to bring his jigsaw down to trim it.
But having said that the shed just needs the doors looking at and the roof needs a few more tacks, the curtains need to go up and my little girl is moaning that she needs to decorate it now
At least the piggies are nice safe and snugg ready for the colder weather.

OOH I forgot to mention that when I got home friday night around 8.30pm I went out to check & cover up the piggies and someone had been in one of the cages and unbolted the door and left it ajar, I think it's a child from the next street who keeps asking to come and hold them, I think he waited for us to go out and then came round.....little sod...the cage what was left undone had the little girls in so they could have quite easily escaped.grrrr lets see them try and get in my new locked shed.

Glad your piggies are alright. Thank goodness they'll be safe in the shed soon.
Can't wait to see pics of the shed. :(|)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back