• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Guinea pigs won't use ramp

PuineaGigs03

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello, I brought my two boys home 5 days ago. They have an outdoor hutch with a ramp down to a connected run, but they haven't been down the ramp once. I'm worried because I don't think the hutch is big enough for the two of them to be cooped up in there all day. I read that it could be because the ramp is too steep so I made it less steep using some blocks. I also laid a trail of vegetables down the ramp, hoping to entice them down, but they're not interested. Any suggestions? Thank you very much.

Hello!

Does the ramp have some sort of covering for grip? If it's just plain wood/plastic your piggies may feel too scared to go down.

You could try a ramp tunnel. I have one on my ramp and my piggies use it no problem. You can buy them from cande cosies although I don’t think they are currently taking orders but may be you could make your own

If you think grip could be the problem I think some peopl have tried sticking various things to the ramp to help. There is a sticky thread at the top of this section about ramps which might help with ideas.

After only 5 days they are probably still feeling quite shy so they may just not be confident exploring yet.

If they still don't get it after a bit more time you could try putting them in the run and seeing if they will go up the ramp. Maybe they will find it easier to learn from this angel and then figure out they can also go down as well.

Hello!

Does the ramp have some sort of covering for grip? If it's just plain wood/plastic your piggies may feel too scared to go down.
The ramp is plain wood, I might wait until they've been here a little longer to see if they get braver and if not cover it with something, or maybe get a ramp tunnel.

You could try a ramp tunnel. I have one on my ramp and my piggies use it no problem. You can buy them from cande cosies although I don’t think they are currently taking orders but may be you could make your own
Thank you, that's a brilliant idea, I'll have a look if they're still not going down the ramp after a few more days.

If you think grip could be the problem I think some peopl have tried sticking various things to the ramp to help. There is a sticky thread at the top of this section about ramps which might help with ideas.

After only 5 days they are probably still feeling quite shy so they may just not be confident exploring yet.

If they still don't get it after a bit more time you could try putting them in the run and seeing if they will go up the ramp. Maybe they will find it easier to learn from this angel and then figure out they can also go down as well.
Thank you, that's very helpful. I've read the ramps thread and there are lots of good ideas in there. Thank you for pointing it out to me!

Do be aware that boys require their cage to be 6ft x 2ft. Boys are more territorial and require a larger space (lack of space can cause problems particularly for teenagers). Upper levels of cages do not count towards the cage size, it is only the ground level which counts and needs to be size requirements.
Are they living outdoors year round? If they are to live outside year round they won’t be able to go into the run in winter and if you are concerned that the hutch part is too cramped for them, then it may require some rethinking before winter comes.

Shed roofing felt is good for grip and files their names at the same time x
How would you fix the roofing felt to the ramp please? I'm concerned about using glue because of the fumes & toxicity should they nibble.

I swear by carpet double sided tape, have used it for all sorts.
Like the advice above, you really need patience with your pigs, give them time, encouragement, defo go for the ramp coverings - don’t wait as they are unlikely to be brave enough to try the ramp without the enticement is them feeling totally safe.

Hello my two guinea pigs (age 3 months) were very wary of the ramp - one got the hang of it in two days the other the day after. I put an extra piece of wood at the side of the ramp (like an edging )to give them reassurance and so their little feet wouldn’t go over the edge - my ramp has little struts of wood across it to help for grip but the carpet is a great idea - it’s good exercise for them and I’m sure they’ll be happy and soon get the hang of it. 😊

How would you fix the roofing felt to the ramp please? I'm concerned about using glue because of the fumes & toxicity should they nibble.
We cut out the roofing felt and then made lats out of wood and screwed them into the ramp with small screws that didn’t come through the back.49733D74-2458-43AD-BC45-B0FCAB0591CB.jpeg

Here's an update for you..... visited the hardware store yesterday and purchased some sticky back anti-skid tape! Fixed this to the ramp and added banisters either side - the piggies are up and down now like yo-yo's. Thanks for all your suggestions - they certainly helped.

Back